Uwe.Knoepfle
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Uwe Knoepfle

Veeam Backup in VM on Domain Controller

Post by Uwe.Knoepfle »

Hello,
we must realize the follwing scenario:
2 independent vSphere 4 Server with local Storage.
With the help of Veeam Backup all vm´s should be transferred from server 1 to server 2. One of the vm´s will be a domain controller.
the server are connected to a lan.

My questions:
1. is it possible to install veeam backup with sql express on a domain controller?
2. is it possible to replicate or to copy the vm with veeam backup to server 2?

Thanks for your help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup in VM on Domain Controller

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Uwe,

1. Yes, it is possible to do so. But please note if you would like to backup DC using VSS in order to keep it in consistent state, the backup job will be timing out when VM freeze happens (because Veeam server is unable to process API calls being "frozen"). However if you disable VSS integration module, you'll be able to backup your DC.

But still I would recommend using standalone Veeam backup server installation if possible. In this case you will be able to successfully backup/replicate all your VMs using VSS integration module.

2. Again, it is possible to replicate/backup the Veeam server itself but with VSS option disabled. If you'd like just to move all your backup job configurations to another server please see the link below:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 73&p=10175

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Best practice from my previous life (Windows Management software vendor): NEVER install other applications on a Domain Controller.
Uwe.Knoepfle
Novice

Post by Uwe.Knoepfle »

thanks for the last answers.
We think about to install veeam backup in a separate vm and to replicate this vm to the other side. would this be OK?

what would be the best and fastest way to failover to the replicas? can it be done automatically?

Thanks for your help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Uwe,

Yes, feel free installing Veeam backup on the separate VM. You may failover either using Veeam failover wizard, powering on VMs manually using vSphere Client or you may follow these instructions to do it automatically:

1. First step is to read this article:
http://blogs.vmware.com/vipowershell/20 ... larms.html

2.Prior to follow and try you'll need to download some software: vSphere PowerCLI and probably PowerShell 2.0. Once you can run any test script from your vCenter alarm, it is now time to get know what should be there to power on a specific VM.
Good examples are listed here:
http://www.powergui.org/thread.jspa?thr ... &tstart=-1
and here:
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/189294

3.Once you can power on a specific VM from PowerShell script, its time to gather your knowledge: create and alarm that triggers when a production VM is powered off. Then set up an action to run a command that would power on a VM on DR site and you're done!

Hope this helps!
Uwe.Knoepfle
Novice

Post by Uwe.Knoepfle »

Hello Vitaliy,

thanks for your answer.
But in our enviroment we don´t have a vCenter Server but a network management system, which could also start scripts.
I think when i monitor the vm i could monitor the availability and could define actions.

This should also be OK - or what do you mean?

Thanks for your help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Uwe,

Yes, if you are able to catch Events from the ESX hosts about original VM unavailability, then you could trigger a script from your Management System to power on your DR VM. However, I think the easiest way is to power DR VMs on using vSphere Client or Veeam failover wizard.

Thanks!