Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
joeuk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Beaton

Find VMs that aren't replicating

Post by joeuk »

Hi,

Is there a way to find VMs that are not being replicated.

Previously we used vizioncore/Quest/Dell B+R. After a successful replication, it would write the date and the replication status to the 'Notes' of the VM. I could then get a list of all VMs in the source cluster and sort on the notes and then any VMs that aren't set to replicate or have problems are clearly obvious.

I would do the same at the destination cluster, then I would see any old VMs that aren't being used any more (the date would be old in the 'Notes' field')

I found this really useful and is a very quick check to see if all is OK and that there aren't and VMs missing from replication.

Thanks

Joe
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Find VMs that aren't replicating

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Joe,
You can set job notifications to be aware of the jobs state.
There is another great tool you maybe interested in called SureReplica Recovery Verification. Please take a look. Thanks!
joeuk
Novice

Post by joeuk »

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.

However, I'm really looking for a way to see at a glance any VMs that aren't replicating either because of a problem or because they aren't in a replication job.

Can you set job notifications to set the Notes on a replication job, or only on a backup job?

It'd be good to be able to see a list of VMs in the B+R console and see that last replication date/time and the last backup date/time. Could this be added to the 'Virtual Machines' section with two additional columns. B+R must know the last replication and backup date/times, so adding it shouldn't be to hard.

Thanks

Joe
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I believe that what you want can be accomplished via PowerShell. Please see this reference for replication related powershell stuff and this forum (this thread is good).

Also you can use post-job scripts in order to make your backup server check whether the replication session finished successfully and, if not, send a notification.

UPDATE: I believe this thread addresses a similar problem, please have a look.

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Joe,
joeuk wrote:Can you set job notifications to set the Notes on a replication job, or only on a backup job?
Sure, you can set notifications for replication jobs as well.

Could you specify what does "to set the Notes" mean?

There is a Backup Job Historical Information Veeam ONE report showing the info we are talking about for all jobs for the preset period.
joeuk wrote:It'd be good to be able to see a list of VMs in the B+R console and see that last replication date/time and the last backup date/time. Could this be added to the 'Virtual Machines' section with two additional columns. B+R must know the last replication and backup date/times, so adding it shouldn't be to hard.
It`s also can be done in Veeam ONE. There are Protected VMs and VM Backup Status reports for that purposes. We try not to overcrowd VBR`s UI. Thanks!
joeuk
Novice

Post by joeuk »

Hi,

When I say 'set to Notes' On the notifications on the Backup page there is the 'set successful backup details to this VM attribute' option, there you can set the backup details to the Notes attribute. There is no similar option for replication.

Joe
joeuk
Novice

Post by joeuk »

PTide wrote:Hi,

I believe that what you want can be accomplished via PowerShell. Please see this reference for replication related powershell stuff and this forum (this thread is good).

Also you can use post-job scripts in order to make your backup server check whether the replication session finished successfully and, if not, send a notification.

UPDATE: I believe this thread addresses a similar problem, please have a look.

Thank you.
Thanks PTide,

I will take a look at the links. Thanks for your help.

Joe
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Joe, thanks for the clarification. You are correct, the option is available for backup jobs only. So looks like the way to go for you is Veeam One, or Powershell if you don`t have One.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

BTW, in Veeam ONE we also have a predefined group (called SLA) for VMs, where all VMs are categorized based on the their latest restore point date or absence of this restore point, so it's worth checking it out.