Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Veeam B&R 8.0 snapshot/quiescing question?

Post by danswartz »

Okay, so when I had a couple of win7 guests, I just used the default vmware tools quiescence and it 'just worked'. I have been trying to get a windows server 2008R2 guest working, and any attempt to snapshot with quiescence enabled fails with a bizarre message "Error: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine". Googling was not tremendously helpful. This doesn't seem specific to Veeam, since it happens even in the vsphere client, but I was hoping someone here could shed light on this. I tried enabling application specific (windows) processing, and it worked fine, but now all the other jobs fail, since the credentials for that guest (w2008) are not the same as all the others (not to mention a number of guests are not even windows.) Is the right thing to do to edit the application-specific settings for the other guests, and tell veeam B&R to disable application-specific processing? Seems kind of a hassle, since I don't seem to be able to change the default setting from 'require success' to 'disabled' (or maybe ignore errors?)
danswartz
Veteran

Re: Veeam B&R 8.0 snapshot/quiescing question?

Post by danswartz »

I guess what I am asking here is: what is the recommended best practice here?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
This doesn't seem specific to Veeam, since it happens even in the vsphere client
If this or this or this does not address the issue, then, I believe, it's a sign that you need to open a case either with Veeam or VMware support. The best option would be to open two support cases =)

Thank you.
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

The Virtual Disk service *is* running, and VSS application quiescing does in fact work (what is not working with win2008) is not using VSS app quiescing and using the (default in my B&R config) Vmware tools quiescing. It might be KB 2034002 - I will have to check...
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Please let us know if it did the trick!

Thanks!
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Setting snapshot.redoNotWithParent parameter to false didn't help. On the other hand, setting disk.enableUUID parameter to false did help. I just disabled VSS quiescence in the job and re-ran it and all is well. I'd love to know what the issue is, but this is only a lab, so vmware is not likely to want to open a ticket for that. Oh, almost forgot: 100% reproduceable outcome of hitting this is that vsphere client throws up a warning that virtual disk consolidation is required.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Anyway I'd give it a try. If the issue does not match any of VMware's KB, then I think they might get interested.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd still recommend using application-aware processing for all VMs, where applicable.
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Yeah, I might do that, it's just a PITA, since I have to remember to change the exclusion/custom rules everytime I add a new VM to a backup job...