Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jgq85
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JGQ85

Backing up Active Directory before schema update?

Post by jgq85 »

Hello, I'm currently using a evaluation of Veeam backup, and I have 15 days left.
I would like to know the best way to utilize it for doing a backup of Active Directory for the following scenario:

I will be adding a new custom attribute for the User class in our Active Directory schema.
While this shouldn't be a huge deal and only take a few seconds, I'd still am curious about the best way of using Veeam to backup AD and then restore it if there is an issue.
Would there be any manual legwork for a recovery to roll back an attribute (or schema modification) that goes haywire? Is the only thing to do to use Veeam to do a full restore of each Active Directory Domain Controller? If so, is there a particular order to restore (i.e. FSMO role order)?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backing up Active Directory before schema update?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

There is no need to perform a full AD VM restore. All you need is to make an application-aware image-level backup prior to any changes in your AD attributes. If you want to rollback then you can restore Active Directory object instead of restoring the whole server. Please check this guide for prerequisites and other details.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backing up Active Directory before schema update?

Post by PTide »

Hi John,

Sorry about my previous post - I did not realize that you need to change schema, not the object. Unfortunately, there is no option to perform a granular backup/restore of AD schema.

Thank you.