Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

What is backup to save: always full

Post by fafa24 »

Hi,

I'm pretty new with Veeam, switched from Backup Exec and we used with this program tapes only. I'm trying to understand what Veeam backups on tape.

Standard job is a incremental with synthetic backup on Saturday, so on every weekdays the job runs only a incremental backup and make a full back on Saturday. We like to use tapes for the moment until our offsite location is ready.

I created a backup to tape job for each weekday to run after the normal job. What does Veeam write on the tape. Will it write on a weekday only the incremental backup? If yes, can I influnece the job to write at least once a week a full backup to tape? Would that be a separate job?

Thanks,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: What is backup to save: always full

Post by veremin »

Just to be sure - you're willing to setup a tape job in such way that it processes increments during the working days and synthetic full on weekend, right?
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by fafa24 »

Sorry when I was not clear. I mean we want to run daily backups to tape. I see there is an option for full backup and a check box for incremental backup. Does that mean when the check box is ticked the backup to tape job will always write the last full backup and all incremental backup on tape each day? We selected the same media pool for both.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

fafa24,
when the check box is ticked the backup to tape job will always write the last full backup and all incremental backup on tape each day
No. Having both option enabled means all existing restore points on disk ful’s and incremental are going to be pushed to tape once job start to run. Every next run will write only new backup files that were not previously written.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Whether the whole chain or just incremental portion of it will be written to tapes during tape job cycle depends on the settings specified on a given media pool, more specifically, media set and retention ones. Thanks.