Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ENIATH
Lurker
Liked: never

Re-IP just DNS Entries

Post by ENIATH »

Hey all,

I'm running the latest Veeam B&R (8.0.0.2030) and using the Re-IP feature of VMware Replication jobs to push our mission critical VM's to our DR site. In the event of a DR scenario, I don't need to fully re-IP the replicated machines because I simply break our VPN link and then activate a separate VLAN within the DR network giving the gateway the same IP as the default gateway at our main site...makes for an easy DR process considering no records need to change, etc, just essentially activating the gateway IP on the default gateway at the site.

H'Anyways, last test I ran, I found a few VM's had an issue where they were obtaining a DHCP or APIPA address when bringing them up (to which I found this article: http://www.veeam.com/kb1601). Other than that article, the ones that did work, I noticed the DNS settings didn't change. Because I am running the prod network at the DR site in the event of a disaster I don't need to change the IP, I just want to change the DNS servers to remove one of the production DNS servers (as it's physical and not coming over to the DR site) and then add one of the DNS servers IP's that's already running at the DR site itself on the DR subnet.

I know I get a warning every time I set the Re-IP rule up stating I didn't change the IP address but to keep the rule anyways, but I am changing the DNS server settings. Is this by design or am I missing something? If it's by design, can this be a feature request to still apply the requested settings even if the NIC address is staying the same?

Terry
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Re-IP just DNS Entries

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ENIATH wrote:I know I get a warning every time I set the Re-IP rule up stating I didn't change the IP address but to keep the rule anyways, but I am changing the DNS server settings.
Did you specify the same IP address, but different DNS setting or didn't configure IP address, but entered new DNS records? First variant should work.