Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cby
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Preserve file permissions in FLR to Linux VM

Post by cby »

Hi

I have read the thread about restored file permissions on Windows and the registry workaround. However, I am about to restore several million files from a Veeam backup to a Linux VM. Having recently restored files to another Linux VM I noticed that the permissions on the restored files did not reflect the original permissions. Indeed not only were the permissions changed, so was the ownership. Is this down to the ssh login/connection credentials associated with the target VM?

Is there some way to ensure that file permissions and ownership are retained when the taregt is a Linux VM? Presumably Windows plays no part in the FLR process apart from running Veeam.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Preserve file permissions in FLR to Linux VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Currently for Multi-OS (Linux) file-level restores there is no possibility to restore files with the same permissions/ownership via UI, but there is an existing workaround that Anton described in this post:

http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ions#p8750

Hope it helps!
cby
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Post by cby »

Vitaly

Thanks for the pointer. The ftp option works though in our instance is not really practical. By saying that currently it's not possible to retain file permissions/ownership do I take it that it will be available in a future Veeam release?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Sure! It is on our list.