Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rsmith.rdi
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ryan Smith

Local Storage Lists Drive as Missing

Post by rsmith.rdi »

Hello everyone,

I just installed Veeam Endpoint on a physical Server 2012 system. I have a large USB drive configured as my X:\. I ran a small backup job to verify functionality. It completed with an error about not being able to backup a QBB file. After the job finished I edited the settings of the job to go after a larger set of files. When I get to the Local Storage dialog it says Storage is missing but still displays the correct backup path in the Folder; section.

The drive and directory is accessible via Windows Explorer but Veeam won't see or use it now.

Any ideas?

Running the latest version of VEB and no missing Windows Updates. My account is a domain administrator.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Local Storage Lists Drive as Missing

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ryan,

Were you trying to backup the X drive connected via USB or you used it as a target storage?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ryan,

What happens if you re sconnect the drive and re open the configure backup wizard? The described behavior may refer to the USB drive being disconnected temporary while wizard was open.
rsmith.rdi
Influencer

Post by rsmith.rdi »

I ran through the configuration wizard and selected the X:\ as the backup target. The 1st job worked successfully. I immediately re-configured the backup job and changed only the data that I wanted to back up. When it went to the Local Storage screen the X:\ was missing and instead [i\]Storage is missing[/i] replaced its entry in the list.

I closed out of Veeam and exited the application all together. Re-launching it exhibited the same behavior.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm... can you please open a support case and let our team review the logs when destination target is being discovered? Also do you have issues only with this drive or all other USB drives experience the same behavior?
rsmith.rdi
Influencer

Post by rsmith.rdi »

I theorize the issue is with the device itself. It's a LaCie 4Big Quadra USB3 that has had issues in the past.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The behavior you described refers to the rotating drive mechanism being enabled (it happens as soon as the USB target got disconnected from the system). Can you go to the Control Panel > Settings > Manage Removable Media and see if the volume from the said device is listed there?

And the case for investigating the root cause of this issue is highly appreciated since we could take a look at the debug logs then.
rsmith.rdi
Influencer

Post by rsmith.rdi »

I went to the list of registered devices it and it shows that the device is recognized but disconnected (red x next to the name of the device). Additionally, grey text that says "Unregister" shows up to the far right of the entry.

I just submitted the logs.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ryan,
Could please post here the case ID for tracking purposes? Thanks
rsmith.rdi
Influencer

Post by rsmith.rdi »

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ryan,
Thanks! I’ve asked QA team to take a look at the logs from your case – it might take some time.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Ryan,
We‘ve looked thru the logs, and need some clarifications. Please you elaborate what is happening when you:

- Re attach to another USB port (specifically the USB port located on the motherboard) and run backup again
- Copy large amount of data via regular windows file browser

Thanks
rsmith.rdi
Influencer

Post by rsmith.rdi »

I have already attempted to reconnect the device to multiple USB ports. Windows sees the device but Veeam does not. I can manually copy the data just fine.

**UPDATE**

I tried a brand new 500GB drive last night and the backup was 100% successful. I'm going to monitor it the rest of the week. I have a feeling my original hunch was correct and the LaCie drive is junk / not working.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Just out of curiosity – could the issue be related to both FireWire (I believe your device has it) and USB used at the same time?
rsmith.rdi
Influencer

Post by rsmith.rdi »

FireWire is not in use. Only USB 3.0.

The backup completed successfully again last night to the new external disk.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the heads-up! Then it looks like your LaCie device is misbehaving. I might be sound like a doomsayer but I would discontinue using this LaCie drive and take it to diagnostics immediately (or call their support team).