Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CoffeeCup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luba

Weekly Backup for Static VMs

Post by CoffeeCup »

Hello,

I'm new in Veeam environment and some questions are unclear so I hope for your help...
We have a few "static" VMs that we are planning to backup weekly and then archived (to tape managed by Backup Exec) also weekly. 2-4 restore points should be enough and we hope to have full backup on the tape. If I configured the Reversed incremental backup to run, let's say every Fri at 10 pm will it be enough? I understand it properly I will have the full backup after job will be done and I could start Backup Exec job to transfer it to tape. Should I also schedule Active full backup (to run monthly, for example, also on Fri?) or it's not required?

Thank you very much,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Weekly Backup for Static VMs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

With reversed incremental backup the latest restore point will always be a full backup, so, yes you can send this backup to tape afterwards. Active full backup is not required, however I would recommend to run a SureBackup job to make sure all applications in these VMs are in consistent state before sending them to the archival location.

BTW, you can use Veeam B&R to send these backups to tape as well, without using Backup Exec.

Thank you!
CoffeeCup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luba

Post by CoffeeCup »

I'll try to configure the tape backup job using Veeam - I tried with the trial Veeam and looked like Backup exec locked tape (it was visible but couldn't find any tapes though there were plenty available) but maybe I just missed some steps...
Thank you very much for the reply!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct, sharing tape library is not possible, unless your library supports partitioning.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And to make use of the existing library that's been used previously by BE you'd better install VB&R on a separate machine and uninstall all BE remnants that might affect library proper work and availability, such as BE specific drivers, services, etc. Previously written tapes need to be erased first. Thanks.