Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
it.loepa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Loepa IT

Version History / Release notes

Post by it.loepa »

Am I the only one who is confused by the Version History / Release notes Update Versions?

I personally don't really see corrections from 2 to 2a or 2b, I've got the feeling that these are simply the same entries in release notes.
For instance I've got the feeling that this sentence:
Tape- Synthesized full backup enhancements. Synthesized full backup functionality has been reworked for better reliability, performance and support for very large backup files.

is mentioned in every release. So because I have some kind of issues I can't control, if there has something change. Normally I'm happy with the new features / release notes at veeam but these two updates confused me a lot. :?:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Version History / Release notes

Post by veremin »

Update 2 was superseded by Update 2a which then has been superseded by Update 2b. That's why Release Notes contains cumulative information, so, people updating from patch#1 know what is fixed and added in the subsequent product version. Thanks.
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

But what about what 2a and what 2b contains for people coming from 2?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just sever bug fixes including VDDK 6.0 issue with virtual disks having the same name. Excerpt from one of the weekly digests:
Gostev wrote: B&R 8.0 Update 2a was officially released around 10 days ago, but as you may have noticed, B&R update check still does not "see" one. The reason is yet another critical issue we have found in VDDK 6.0 last week, which forced us to rebuild the update code again, now as Update 2b – adding a workaround for this single issue. While it's again a corner case, it may results in B&R quietly creating unrecoverable backups for certain VMs, which previous versions of VDDK had no issues processing (see KB2042 for more information). Sadly, VDDK 6.0 has been one of the worst VDDK releases in terms of the amount of new bugs introduced. More evidence to keep using SureBackup for catching those environment-specific issues!
Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Let me explain this a little bit more. First, there is no difference in the release notes between any of the Update 2 builds, so don't look for them. The only difference between different builds is a handful of point bug fixes in the newly introduced functionality.

We did not publish any of the initial (pilot) Update 2 builds through the update notification functionality built into B&R v8, and Update 2b was actually the first build that was published. Thus, the differences between pilot builds and the final build does not need to be widely known, as most of the users will go straight to Update 2b. That said, our support does have all the information on those point fixes between pilot Update 2 builds available, and will be happy to share with you.