Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MrFixit
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Feature Request - Reporting & deduplication

Post by MrFixit » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
First off let me say what a fantastic job you have done with Veeam Endpoint Backup Free. I was looking to solve this last peice so I could shutdown my Windows Home Server. Thank you.

My first wish is to have reporting built in, It should have 4 options. Send email only if backup completed, Send email only if backup failed, Send email for both or don't send email for anything. This wish is the most important to me because I don't like not knowing if my endpoints are backing up without logging into each system & with 12 clients that takes time.

My 2nd wish though not as important as my first wish is to have backup deduplication, I have plenty of storage on my NAS but this would be a great thing.

I am hopeful that you will at least include email reporting in v2 or worst case make a Pro version and charge us for these features but if your going to charge us it would have to be home user pricing friendly, I have no problem paying for great software but it cant be corporate/commercial pricing. Keep up the great work, Keep the price low & I look forward to the next release and these added features.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Reporting & deduplication

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community.
I am glad you find a good place of use for Veeam Endpoint Backup Free and enjoy using it!
My first wish is to have reporting built in, It should have 4 options. Send email only if backup completed, Send email only if backup failed, Send email for both or don't send email for anything.
Good request, thank you. There is a possible workaround, which includes scripting and is based on windows events produced by Veeam Endpoint Backup.
backup deduplication, I have plenty of storage on my NAS but this would be a great thing.
The deduplication and compression is enabled but it does not work across multiple endpoint jobs - so I assume your request refers to this functionality, right?
MrFixit
Influencer

Post by MrFixit »

Dima P. wrote:Hello and welcome to the community.
I am glad you find a good place of use for Veeam Endpoint Backup Free and enjoy using it! Good request, thank you. There is a possible workaround, which includes scripting and is based on windows events produced by Veeam Endpoint Backup. The deduplication and compression is enabled but it does not work across multiple endpoint jobs - so I assume your request refers to this functionality, right?
Hi Dima P.
Thank you for the reply, Yes that is correct I would like deduplication across multiple endpoints. I had a look at ur scrip but not sure how to create/use it? Hoping Veeam will just add it for use.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

If you're using the same destination target for all your endpoint jobs, then you can use built-in volume deduplication functionality of Windows Server 2012 R2 to achieve deduplication across all backups.

Thank you!
MrFixit
Influencer

Post by MrFixit »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello,

If you're using the same destination target for all your endpoint jobs, then you can use built-in volume deduplication functionality of Windows Server 2012 R2 to achieve deduplication across all backups.

Thank you!
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am not backing up to a Windows Server 2012 R2. I am backing all my clients to a Synology NAS.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, in this case either a dedupe appliance or suggestion above should be used. Thanks again for the feedback!
DonFibo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Bargetze

Post by DonFibo »

Hy MrFixit

If you want some help for the Script send me an PM.
I have a batch Script wich get the most work done.

Works fine by me.

Just send a message.

Greez
DonFibo
Greez
DonFibo

PS: Sorry for bad english. If you don`t get it ask in German :-)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

DonFibo,
If you have a working script – feel free to share it with the community via starting a new thread or continuing the existing one. Such posts are much appreciated and even sometimes promoted via weekly digest so more users can adopt the proposed solution. :wink:
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello,

Thank you!
Since compression cannot be turned off in VEB, this would not work as well as it could. Hopefully, the ability to turn off compression surfaces in a future release.