PowerShell script exchange
vnephologist
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Daniel

changing replication jobs to use WAN acceleration

Post by vnephologist »

Hi folks - we recently added WAN acceleration to all of our local and remote proxies and would like to modify our jobs to use it. I started looking through the cmdlets then figured someone may already had this come up. A quick search didn't uncover any existing posts, but before I sunk more time, figured I'd through it out here. My assumption is that I should hard set the replication proxies to match the WAN accelerators too. So seems like I should loop through and toggle IsWanAcceleratorEnabled, set the proxies, then set SourceWANAcceletor and TragetWANAccelerator? Anything else. With no WAN acceleration we're pushing ~70Mbps. Any other tuning we should do? Thanks in advance!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: changing replication jobs to use WAN acceleration

Post by veremin »

If WAN Acceleration is enabled, the communication will be taking place between WAN Accelerators, not proxies. Therefore, the only thing that needs to be done here is enable WAN Acceleration, and provide two WAN Accelerators:

Code: Select all

Set-VBRViReplicaJob -Job $Job -UseWANAccelerator -SourceWANAccelerator $SourceWAN -TargetWANAccelerator $TargetWAN
Thanks.
vnephologist
Influencer

Post by vnephologist »

Thanks for the quick reply. In my case, the WAN accelerators are the same proxies. To limit network traffic, I was trying to keep the communication local to the same box. Am I over engineering this? If I leave all proxy selection on Auto would it do this matching for me?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What I'm trying to say here is that if you choose "through built-in WAN Accelerators" option, then, the proxy settings shown above won't matter any longer. So, what you need to do via PS is to enable the said option and provide two WAN Accelerators - source and target ones. Thanks.
vnephologist
Influencer

Post by vnephologist »

I understand that the the WAN accelerators will be used for the WAN traffic. I guess I should've explained my config a little more, because our setup is entirely virtual and uses hot-add proxies. I'm trying to limit as much LAN traffic as possible before and after the WAN transport. The WAN accelerator machines are the same as the hot-add proxies. Because the we're using Remote Replica from Backup, I realize that the WAN accelerator machine is still having to pull data from the repository machine at the source, but I was hoping that the destination WAN accelerator and hot-add proxy could be the same machine to avoid that LAN copy.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

One server can host both roles, indeed: Proxy and WAN Accelerator.In this case, replication traffic will be going the following way:

Production Datastore ==> Source Proxy/Source WAN Accelerator (since you have both deployed on one machine) ==> WAN ==> Target proxy/Target WAN Accelerator (since you have both deployed on one machine) ==> Target Datastore.

Thanks.
vnephologist
Influencer

Post by vnephologist »

Ah, I guess I missed the fact that the data ever hit a destination repository. I thought the remote proxy wrote it directly to VMFS datastore. I don't remember ever configuring a remote repository, except that I used one for pre-seeding.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Sorry, I must have forgotten that we were talking about replication jobs, not backup copy ones. I've edited my previous message in accordance already, please, take a look.

There will be a repository in the picture, if replication from backup option is enabled.

Thanks.
vnephologist
Influencer

Post by vnephologist »

No worries, so I guess back to my original question. :) Do I need to specify the same Source Proxy & Source WAN Accelerator, and Destination Proxy & Destination WAN Accelerator as part of the job, or is it smart enough to select the same Proxy based on the fact that there is a WAN accelerator involved? If the former, I'd like to specify them as part of the script.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

it's the former case,so, you should specify them as a part of the script, using -SourceProxy and -TargetProxy parameters. Thanks.