Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
darryl.crossley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Darryl Crossley

Dell DR6000 & Backup Copy Job Settings

Post by darryl.crossley »

Hello all,
I'm trying to plan a backup solution with a standard NAS on the primary site and a Dell DR6000 on the 2nd site.

The idea being to store 30 days retention on the primary site and 7 years on the secondary site.

I'm looking at the options specific to achieve this, my thoughts being how the backup job settings (dedupe, compression) would differ with the backup copy job. How else are people doing this?

I have some concerns around changing some of these settings between the jobs to make the backup copy job best practise for a de-dupe appliance. Therefore would the customer need to pay a higher storage penalty (more TB's) in the primary site to accommodate an end-to-end job setting consistency.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Darryl
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Dell DR6000 & Backup Copy Job Settings

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Darryl,
The best practice is to use backup job for primary storage and backup copy job with GFS retention to keep historical backups on the secondary site.
You can customize dedupe and compression for backup and bcakup copy jobs in accordance with your needs. Is your goal to make backups faster or to store less on primary/DR site?
Is there a native storage deduplication on DR6000 you are going to use? If yes, this topic can also be helpful.
Thanks!
darryl.crossley
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response.

I understand the best practises on GFS and targeting a dedupe appliance.

It's possible I didn't go into enough depth with my question.

If I'm backing up to a local server repository my backup job advanced settings would like like this:
  • inline data dedupe: enabled
    Compression Level: Optimal
    Storage Optimization: Local Target
Then with backup copy I'd want to grab that same backup job and copy to a 2nd site DR6000 with GFS retention. The key thing here is we're now writing to a dedupe appliance and the above settings applied to the backup file are no longer valid.

In an ideal world my backup copy job advanced settings would look something like this:
  • inline data dedupe: Disabled
    Compression Level: DeDupe Friendly
    Storage Optimization: Local target (16TB+ backup files) <- This is inherited from the backup job
Therefore when performing a backup copy job, we're trying to change two significant variables between the backup files and the backup copy files, compression level and inline data dedupe.

My questions are:
  • What is the best practise here in this situation?
    What will happen to the backup copy job with these settings changed?
    Will the copy jobs actually work?
    Am I at risk of causing backup copy / data integrity issues making these changes?
    Will it have an adverse effect on backup copy speeds due to a huge processing overhead?
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie » 1 person likes this post

Hi Darryl,

DR4100 user here... I'm possibly a bit out of date, but since you don't have a reply yet - to the best of my knowledge, what you're trying to do is not possible. My understanding is that once you run a backup job with a specific Compression and Dedupe setting, you are stuck with that for the subsequent backup copy jobs which use that backup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

inline data dedupe: Disabled
Compression Level: DeDupe Friendly
Storage Optimization: Local target (16TB+ backup files) <- This is inherited from the backup job
As mentioned in the referenced thread, you can leave inline dedupe enabled and compression level as optimal (make sure to enable "decompress data before storing option" in the setting of target repository).
What will happen to the backup copy job with these settings changed? Will the copy jobs actually work?
It will work smoothly.
Am I at risk of causing backup copy / data integrity issues making these changes?
Nope.
Will it have an adverse effect on backup copy speeds due to a huge processing overhead?
Just let it run several cycles with the mentioned settings and see what component is identified as major bottleneck.

Thanks.
darryl.crossley
Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

I've been working through some testing today with a virtual edition of the dell DR appliance, the DR2000v and it works really well.

Anyone interested in trialling can download the appliance here: http://software.dell.com/products/dr200 ... loads.aspx