Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
anotherITguy
Novice
Liked: never

Xorg Service Monitor

Post by anotherITguy »

Is it possible to monitor the xorg service on an ESXi 5.5 host with Veeam 7.0.0.1862?
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Xorg Service Monitor

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Xorg service should be discovered as a part of Host Security Profile as well as it's state. And you should be able to check it's state using Host Security Profile Report. This is not a real-time monitoring though. ESX has a lot of rules in the security profile and we cannot poll this on a timely manner, this should be done during Host properties discovery.

I'm not sure about a monitor though - it's a property of the ESX host object so maybe it's possible to create something, but I'm afraid this is not something available in SCOM out of the box.

For our next version we've slightly changed the way Security Profile is monitored, mostly because of performance and scalability considerations (SCOM objects don't really work well when they have too many properties). And this data will be published in the WMI on Veeam Collectors, so we can try to create an example of a service monitor, but again, I'm not sure real-time is possible here.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding Security Profile functionality. We would also appreciate more details about desired use case with functionality to monitor xorg service.

P.S. there is also a possibility this can be monitored via vCenter events or alarms, for v8 we've added a functionality to enable absolutely all events from vcenter, so if esx is sending an event when xorg is stopped - this can be monitored in SCOM.

Thanks.
anotherITguy
Novice

Post by anotherITguy »

We're seeing where the xorg service is not starting properly or it's stopping after the host has been up for some time. It would be nice to be able to alert when Veeam sees that this service has stopped. I have noticed a few alerts based on host profile compliance issues (don't recall the actual name of the monitor), would this event be triggered when the xorg service stops or is it caused by something else?
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Well, I cannot find any alarm or even event for vCenter when xorg service stopped on the host. Also looks like component alarms available on vCetner 6.0 are dedicated to vCenter components and cannot be triggered by failed host component. So, looks like the only way is to use our upcoming v8 with custom monitor. We have a lot of stuff going on during the pre-release cycle, but when v8 is out we can return to this topic and I could try to create a sample host service monitor for you and publish it on this forum.

Feel free to ask this question again, when v8 is out.
Sorry that cannot help you right away. Although you still can use Host Security Profile Report to track current state of the xorg service.
anotherITguy
Novice

Post by anotherITguy »

Thanks for looking into it Sergey. What's the time frame on version 8?