Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Question to tape media set

Post by fafa24 »

Dear All,

I have a question to tape rotation. Let me tell you what we are trying to achieve.

We like to perform a full backup to tape on Friday's and only do incremental backups on tape from Monday to Thursday. The tape Job is created with the "the media pool for Full" with schedule Friday and the tick for to process incremental backup files. Both full and incremental use the same media pool. We removed the tape each week days from the library. So we leave only those tape in the library which we really use for the next backup session.

Which media set option should I tick in the media pool? Is it "automatically create new media set daily with the only day on Monday ticked? So the pool uses all week the same media set and create a new one on Monday. Will this work for my request?

I ticked "daily on every day" to create a new media set every day, but today I realised the tape job performed a full backup instead of an incremental backup.

Thanks,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Question to tape media set

Post by veremin »

What backup mode does the source backup job use? I suspect it's forward incremental with periodic full backups, right? How retention settings look like for this job? For how long you're willing to preserve data on tapes? In other words, what overwrite protection period would you like to set? Thanks.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Yes the backup mode for the source backup Job is Forward incremental with synthetic on Friday. restore point is 7. The overwrite protection for a tape is 7 days.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Weekly mediaset might be a good idea. I'd recommend increasing overwrite protection period (up to two weeks, for instance), though. Because with the said retention there will be 7-13 restore points on disk, and shorter retention on tape will result in the previously copied restore points being re-archived again. Thanks.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Kindly, keep us updated on the results you get. Thanks.