Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and

Post by bsoosay »

Hi there!

I'm getting an error when I try to aux copy my Veeam backups to tape. I'm using Veeam Backup and Replication 8. I have a MSL4048 tape library with 4 drives (two LTO5 and two LTO6)

The error that I receive is: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list

When I drill down to an individual job, the error I receive is:

Code: Select all

7/22/2015 9:42:48 PM :: Loading tape D00006L6 from Slot 41 to Drive 1 (Drive ID: Tape0) Error: The operation completed successfully. DeviceIoControl(ChangerGetElementStatus) with sourceAddress = '40', destAddress = '0', symLink = '\\?\scsi#changer&ven_hp&prod_msl_g3_series#5&23b57acb&0&000001#{53f56310-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}' --tr:Timed out waiting for device ready status on MoveMedium operation, source element ChangerSlot#40, destination element ChangerDrive#0 The operation completed successfully. DeviceIoControl(ChangerG 
I opened a case with Veeam support, and was told to reboot my tape library. I did that, but the errors persist. Can I get some help please?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero

Post by Shestakov »

HI Benjamin,
bsoosay wrote:I opened a case with Veeam support, and was told to reboot my tape library. I did that, but the errors persist.
Could you provide the case number please? Thanks!
bsoosay
Enthusiast

Post by bsoosay »

The Case ID is ID# 00974854
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Benjamin,
Does it happen with every media or only with the specific once? I’ve seen this error before and it was caused by corrupted tape media. If yes, then its worth checking the tape consistancy with the native library tools.
bsoosay
Enthusiast

Post by bsoosay »

Hi Dima...It happens with all the media.

I should let you know more. This particular tape library and the tapes are not entirely new. It was used by a different backup software. Now prior to using these tapes with Veeam, I performed a short erase of the tapes and then used it. I then performed a long erase for some tapes and tried to initiate the tap job, but I still received the same error.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the clarification. I meant if there is any native tool provided with the library that could check the tape’s integrity. Additionally, you can try to perform a long erase within such software. Aside from that, I’d await for the investigation results.
bsoosay
Enthusiast

Post by bsoosay »

I've been waiting for Veeam support for more than 12 hours, and I haven't received a reply for a Severity 2 case.

I would be grateful for any advise and help to resolve this issue.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Benjamin,
I've check with the support and it appears that you've used the wrong drivers? Were you able to find the correct drivers and get you issue resolved? Thanks.
bsoosay
Enthusiast

Post by bsoosay »

Hi Dima,

Its not the wrong drivers at all. Let me explain what the support tried to do. He ran HP Tools to test one of the tape drives. There was an error doing a short erase on that tape drive. The support engineer said, there must be a problem with the library and the drivers. But the reason why the short erase from HP Tape Tools failed is because there was no tape in the drive. So how can you possible erase a tape from a drive when there is no tape in the drive.
After this, when I ran the HP Tools, it was all successful. No failures. So that concluded that the drivers was installed correctly.

I then ran a Veeam Tape job and it failed again with the same error.

Do you recall in one of my other posts, I asked can Veeam 8 support a single tape library with TWO different types of tape drives. In other words, can Veeam support a SINGLE library that has two LTO5 tape drives and two LTO6 tape drives attached to this single tape library. My Manager and I tested this on Veeam, and the answer is NO. Veeam cannot support a single tape library that has two different tape drives attached to the tape library.

So we have to perform a LOGICAL SPLIT of the tape drive, where by Veeam logically sees two tape libraries. One logical tape library for the LTO5 tape drives, and another logical library for the LTO6 tape drives. Once this was done....Veeam was able to backup to tape successfully. But the single tape library had to be split and that makes managing tapes a little complicated and messy.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Benjamin,
Veeam cannot support a single tape library that has two different tape drives attached to the tape library.
We have some built in logic that should sort out the tape media between drives with correct generation. However, I’ll ask the QA team to check your case errors and if needed request for improvements in the logic from the DEVs. Thanks for updating this thread!
bsoosay
Enthusiast

Post by bsoosay »

hi Dima,

Could you explain this please - "We have some built in logic that should sort out the tape media between drives with correct regeneration"

Is there a way for Veeam to work with a single tape library that has two different types of LTO Drives?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I meant “generation” sorry for the typo. The tapes should be automatically sorted to the correct drive if you keep mutigenerational media within one media pool
bsoosay
Enthusiast

Post by bsoosay »

Hi Dima,

My apologies, but you need to explain further. What do you mean by keeping multigenerational media within one media pool?

The issue I had initially was the Veeam 8 was unable to perform a tape output, as long as the single tape library had two different types of LTO drives attached to it.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello bsoosay,
I meant it should be possible to add tape media from separate generations to single media pool.
The issue I had initially was the Veeam 8 was unable to perform a tape output, as long as the single tape library had two different types of LTO drives attached to it.
As I said before, we will carefully review your case and make the corresponding improvements in the existing functionality. Thanks.
kovitking
Novice
Full Name: Kovit Thakral

Post by kovitking »

Hi all,

I found same with this issue. can you fixed this problem? I didn't open case yet.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Kindly, open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly, as possible causes might vary and we can spent a lot of time guessing over forum correspondence.

Once opened, please, post ticket's number here.

Thanks.