Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Feature request ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hello, I just had some time to test Veeam Endpoint Backup, so far so good.

Here is a preliminary Feature request list ...

1) Mail notification to SMTP Servers
2) Schedule backups on a weekly Basis and the ability to select and de-select specific days
3) The ability to give the backup Job a name

Best regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature request ...

Post by PTide »

Hi,
1) Mail notification to SMTP Servers
If you don't use VBR and need emails to be sent urgently then please see this workaround.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Didi7, can you please elaborate on the last request? How are you going to use it?
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello Vitaly,

well I am looking at Veeam Backup & Replication app and there I can supply a job name and that's something I wish for Veeam Endpoint Backup as well but more important is SMTP mail notification implemented in Veeam Endpoint Backup itself.

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, SMTP notification makes total sense. Unfortunately, I still didn't get why job renaming is required. ;)
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, let me try to explain that again ...

Let's say different endpoints try to make there backup on one NAS system. IIRC the name of the backup files is always the same, so one is forced to create different directories for each server to differentiate between the different backups and server, right?

I know that even Windows Server Backup doesn't let you name the backup files, but in many different paid or free endpoint backup solutions, you have the opportunity to name the backup files and I personally find it more speaking.

Regards,
Didi7
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Didi7 wrote:IIRC the name of the backup files is always the same, so one is forced to create different directories for each server to differentiate between the different backups and server, right?
Not exactly, all backup files are named after the name of the computer where VEB is installed, so you should not have similar names in the same directory.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, couldn't remember exactly. I just used VEB on a virtual Windows 2012 R2 on my VMware Workstation environment and a central network share to make some first test and to evaluate the product and I am not sure, if this VEB is practical in every physical environment, because of the use of SQL databases.

Regards,
Didi7
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! Hope you have enjoyed the evaluation of Veeam Endpoint Backup. As to SQL Server backup possibilities, then please take a look at this topic for further reading > Endpoint Backup MS SQL backup?
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello Vitaliy,

yes I enjoyed the evaluation of VEB and was thinking about using it in the future, but there was a misunderstanding regarding my last post and regarding SQL. What I meant, was the fact, that VEB uses SQL express libraries for itself and I am not sure, if this could be troublesome on some servers which have applications installed, which also use SQL as a database! Therefore I am not sure, if VEB is suitable in every environment, specifically in environments, where SQL is used for other applications (I didn't want to talk about VEB being capable to backup SQL, Exchange or whatever).

Furthermore, we already use Veeam B&R in one of our VMware cluster environment and I wish to use the software in other cluster environments as well, but VEB will only be useful to me, if SMTP notification is implemented and the SQL express libraries (which VEB uses) doesn't interfer with SQL database installations for other purposes on the same server.

Personally, VEB is quite nice, but I don't like the fact, that VEB uses SQL express for itself. I suppose that some of the users of VEB have the same feelings about that.

Regards,
Didi7
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for clarifications. You can install as many SQL Server instances as you want, there should not be any conflicts. Thanks!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, got it. Nevertheless, some SQL administrators don't like the fact, that there is other SQL software and other instances on the same server, specially when there are huge and important databases on the same server. If everything works great, then there is no problem, but if problems occur, then it's always the other software, which is responsible for the problems.

In this case, I would have preferred VEB would use a proprietary database.

Regard,
Didi7
Greg Lamb
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Greg Lamb

Post by Greg Lamb »

I recently discovered that there isn't the ability to generate a business friendly report/notification for restore jobs. Support pointed me in the direction of Veeam One Restore Operator Activtity Report but it would be nice if a notification could be generated/emailed similar to backup jobs. I imagine that not all customers use VeeamOne so the only other option would be raw text based job log in the ProgramData folder.