Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
singy2002
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Singleton

There are no objects to backup.

Post by singy2002 »

Hi,
I have noticed an issue after a failed replica task.

Basically the error message is "there are no objects to backup" this should not be the case as the machine should have changes, even if they are minor to it.

For example the schedule will be like this.

13:00 Success
15:00 Success
17:00 Error
Checking "jcbesxdr.jcb-finance.co.uk" host license level Failed to login to "jcbvc" by SOAP, port 443, user "JCB-FINANCE\administrator", proxy srv: port:0 The operation has timed out
17:12:57 Success - but with details of "there are no objects to backup"

Please could you explain why this is the case, the next replica after this one ran successfully on the next rotation (2 hours)

This occurs after every failed replica.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 7097 times

Re: There are no objects to backup.

Post by Gostev »

singy2002 wrote:Failed to login to "jcbvc" by SOAP, port 443, user "JCB-FINANCE\administrator", proxy srv: port:0 The operation has timed out
Here is the issue, connection to vCenter could not be established (connection timed out). This could happen due to intermittent network issue, overloaded vCenter server etc.
singy2002
Service Provider

Post by singy2002 »

Hi,
This is the next entry, so it timed out and then on the next task run (a retry 15 minutes later) it retries and says no objects to backup.

I am misunderstanding the message here?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2773 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam backup tries to backup only failed objects at the retry step. But as a connection to vCenter wasn't successfully established for some reason, Veeam Backup wasn't able to get an object list to backup at the retry step.
singy2002
Service Provider

Post by singy2002 »

Thanks for your reply, this problem were the server is unable to communicate with the VC seems to be a little hit and miss, for example it works flawlessly for 20-30 runs then it will time out for particular reason, I have checked the logs of the DC, VC and source machine and none of them show any issues relating to the time period of the failures.

Could it be a problem that we have 2 compeltely seperate jobs running at the same time? both VM's we backup are on a different job, but they start at the same time. during the latest failure of one of the jobs, the other one ran without issue.

Would you recommend combining the two jobs for example? Any other thoughts?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Andrew, parallel jobs should not be resulting this - it is very common for our customers to run multiple parallel jobs, and issues like this is not something I recall being commonly reported. Unless your vCenter is already sitting around its connection limit, and cannot accept more than one 1 connection... but again, if you say there's nothing in vCenter logs, then I can only suspect intermittent network connection issue here.
svallarian
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Steven Vallarian

Post by svallarian »

I'm having the same, intermittent problem, and i've got 5 concurrent jobs running out of a list of 50. Is there any setting so that it will retry the connection to VC? or is that what it does when it retries and then pops up with "No objects to backup"

Secondly, if we re-run the backup job (not the full backup), is that an acceptable recovery? We're having to start at least one job every morning because of the "no objects to backup message" after a failed VC connection.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This issue sits in vStorage API, and it was fixed in the latest update per release notes document. However, this update also introduced some additional previously non-existent issues, which is why we cannot really use it. VMware is aware about this, and is working on the next update. We will switch to the updated vStorage API version as soon as it is released and passes our own testing cycle.