Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mswei
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Sweitzer

MS15-078 windows update issues

Post by mswei »

Hello, recently applied https://technet.microsoft.com/library/s ... /MS15-078/

Per the update, I needed to shut down my machine to complete the installation. I clicked Start > Install updates and Shutdown, and the update process started. When I checked the backup this morning, I noticed that a backup had failed around the time that I installed the new update, and then ran normally at its scheduled time. During the scheduled time, it took a full backup instead of an incremental.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have already opened a support case, just wanted to see if the community has any shared experience with this. Thanks!

Veeam Support - Case # 00975046
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: MS15-078 windows update issues

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Michael,
That seems to be unexpected (unless the volume structure has changed, which I believe is not the root cause). To tell the truth, I suffered from this update this morning too – my Endpoint tray component got disconnected from the service. Lets await for the log investigation results.
mswei
Novice

Post by mswei »

Thanks Dima. For what it's worth, the endpoint backed up successfully on the 18th of July (first full of scheduled rotation), taking the expected incremental backup at the scheduled time each day until this patch last night.

I only discovered this before work today, so I haven't had a chance to try a restore yet and see what is available for recovery.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

so I haven't had a chance to try a restore yet and see what is available for recovery.
Can you run a quick test and perform a file level recovery to check the backup file to be operational?
mswei
Novice

Post by mswei »

Here's a screenshot of FLR wizard with all the backup jobs so far:

The good news is that I can restore files from the old and most current fulls, as well as the incrementals. Any ideas how this would handle a volume restore? Will all points still be valid? I am hoping to backup 2 weeks of data before the schedule starts over, but after doing the math with two full backups on disk, I won't have the necessary space (backing up to external USB hdd).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The restore points look good and valid – no worries. The said part is - it looks like you have to delete old backup files manually in case the previous chain is no longer rotated by the Endpoint.
mswei
Novice

Post by mswei »

So something broke the chain. Can we determine what broke it? Was it the shutdown event without pause for backup to finish or something else perhaps that can be avoided in the future? I am assuming at this point its my fault :)

Just to confirm, deleting the Saturday Full would make the incrementals from Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday invalid, correct? I'd *like* to keep them around until I get a few more incrementals under the Wednesday full, but don't want to mess up the new chain either. I guess what I'm dancing around here is: do I need to start from scratch or is any of this salvageable?

Thanks for your support Dima!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Can we determine what broke it?
QA team is just about to do it :D
deleting the Saturday Full would make the incrementals from Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday invalid, correct?
Yes, deleting the full backup (.vbk) or metadata file (.vbm) makes the incremental files (.vib) completely useless. If I were you – I’d just keep the whole chain for the needed period of time and then delete all the files at once.
mswei
Novice

Post by mswei »

If I were you – I’d just keep the whole chain for the needed period of time and then delete all the files at once.
Does that mean I can keep the full from early this AM as my new full or should I start a new job?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Yup - you can keep the latest full.
mswei
Novice

Post by mswei »

So I've kept the latest full and removed the previous full and it's associated change. Is there a way to update the metadata so that it no longer thinks those backups exist or do I just need to wait until they're rolled out (and suggest a feature for the next release)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The .vbm (metadata file) should be automatically updated.
mswei
Novice

Post by mswei »

Doesn't appear to be updating automatically. I have rebooted since, and backup has occurred multiple times since the instance where I deleted the full and incremental chains from the drive, but they still showup when attempting to restore a full volume.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Michael,
The root of the issue was indeed the shutdown caused by update – we are going to address this issue in 1.1 upgrade. Regarding the .vbm I am checking with the QA.