Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Full Backup Date

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I have installed VEB on 4/27 and set the retention to 7 days. There are 6 servers, three 2008 R2, and three 2012. When I look at the restore screen where I pick the day to restore from there are 7 incrementals, 7/16 to 7/22. Then there is a single Full backup listed 4/27. Shouldn't that full of been rolled up on 7/16 and not still have the install date of 4/27 on it? This is across all 6 servers, the 2012 servers had windows updated last week, the 2008 R2 servers did not have recent updates installed. Any insight would be great.

Case ID: 00975387

Cheers!

Edit: added case ID
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Full Backup Date

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Ryan,
You are aware that these days are not calendar days but days on which backup files were successfully created, right?

P.S. I forgot to mention that the retention value is always incremented to ensure the retired backup is not merged at the beginning of the needed day, but at the end instead.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

So what you are saying is that the full was created on 4/27 and never gets updated again? I assumed the full was updated each time the retention period was reached, it would take the oldest incremental and roll it into the full, then the full backup would have its date updated.
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

No, it will be updated in your case only when the 8th day (8 days with backup files created) is reached. Some retention pictures could be far better than my explanation Backup Retention Policy
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Dima P. wrote:No, it will be updated in your case only when the 8th day (8 days with backup files created) is reached. Some retention pictures could be far better than my explanation Backup Retention Policy
Ok that is what I expected to see as well, but this server has been backed up every day since April 27th, which is a couple more than 8 days :D

I am curious why the full backup date hasn't changed in 3 months.
VMCE v9
mswei
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Sweitzer

Post by mswei »

Are you looking at date created instead of date modified?

Our original 2008r2 template had the "date created" column in explorer. We added the "date modified" column. Had a similar issue with a SQL job that we thought wasn't updating a file for over a week :)
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

In the restore point wizard it doesn't state modified or created it just says Date with no way to modify columns. This isn't in the restore explorer this is just the first screen where you select what actual restore point you want to recover the volumes or files from.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Definitely something with restore points being not correctly displayed in the wizard. We are going to check it!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Modification date for the full backup file is being not correctly displayed: we confirmed this UI glitch and will fix it as soon as possible. Thanks!
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Thanks Dima! The files all seem fine in the backups, it definitely points to a display issue. Wanted to get it sent in to verify.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

It’s not even related to the backup – just to the metadata, so backup must be fine – no worries, just the date label misbehaving.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 1 person likes this post

I heard back from support and they are not sure either what could be causing this. Obviously with the release of 1.1 the standard practice is to upgrade then test. I am waiting until 1.1 becomes available on the automatic downloads just to make sure any last minute bugs were worked out. I will follow up once I update VEB.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ryan,
There is still a chance the fix will be included in the “auto update release” – unfortunately, I can’t say now.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

No worries Dima,its purely cosmetic. But I will let you know what happens when I do upgrade.

Cheers!
VMCE v9