Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sfort
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sfort

What does isCorrupted in .VBM mean?

Post by sfort »

Hi,

I'm just wondering what the IsCorrupted field actually means inside the VM of the .VBM file?

I've got a Backup Copy Job that looks to be transferring fine but one of the VMs is showing IsCorrupted. Will I be able to restore this VM and/or is there a fix for this?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: What does isCorrupted in .VBM mean?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Sfort,
Could you give more info about the corruption, please?
Did the job finish with some errors/warnings? Were there any retries?

If VMs shows IsCorrupted, most likely it`s not restorable due to some error. The most popular case is insufficient time to finish the job. However the next increment should be healthy and restorable.
Thanks!
sfort
Novice

Post by sfort »

Hi Shestakov,

After checking it out it does look like it was running out of time as suggested. It has now finished to completion but the VBM is still showing as isCorrupted for the same VM. Is this because the VM won't be restorable from one of the previous restore points? Or now that it has run to completion should it be showing fine now?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Glad that we found the root of the issue.
The older restore points which haven`t finished successfully will not be restorable, but if newer runs finished with no errors, they should be healthy.
sfort wrote: It has now finished to completion but the VBM is still showing as isCorrupted for the same VM.
Could you specify if the recent runs finished with "success" status and where exactly you can see isCorrupted indication?
Thanks!
sfort
Novice

Post by sfort »

So the recent runs finished successfully but I'm still seeing IsCorrupted="True" in the <VM> for one VM. Could this be because the <VM> shows the worst status of the entire job?

In which case I'd be better off looking at the <Pnt>'s? Or should <VM isCorrupted> be False when the latest restore point is valid?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Sfort,
Are you seeing it in the text format of the .vbm file? .vbm contains information about all backups of a job, there should be several isCorrupted values, most of them should be equal to "False", while some might be equal to "True" if backups created by those unsuccessful runs are not deleted by retention.
If you wish to go deeper reviewing particular metadata or logs, you can contact our support team.
Thanks!
sfort
Novice

Post by sfort »

Hi Shestakov,

Ah yep, just as I suspected (wrt the <VM> showing iscorrupted="true" because one of the points is corrupted). So when it rolls up the weekly image (which is set) and removes the daily backups it should then fix up the problem that I'm seeing.

Thanks for confirming!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Correct. Once the corrupted files are deleted, you should see any "isCorrupted = true"
Thanks!