Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aseal
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Seal

Restores from NetApp snapshots not fully functional

Post by aseal »

As per case # 00969842
I tried to recover files from a disk located in a different volume/datastore than the one that contains the original .vmx file for the VM. It fails with a generic error.

Below is the response from support.

In order for this to be considered fully functional it will need to be able to do restores from any disks on any volumes. Otherwise it makes it nearly impossible to build to best practice and performance standards.
When will this issue be resolved?

Thanks for the information. I spoke to a few senior engineers to see what they had to say about what is occurring in this case. They pointed me towards this particular article for the release notes of Update 2B: http://veeampdf.s3.amazonaws.com/releas ... _notes.pdf

In the note, it states:
"Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots
VMs with virtual disk files located on different storage volumes are not supported. Only disks residing on the same datastore with VMX file will be available for all restore types.
•Virtual disk restore fails for VMs with absolute path to virtual disks in VMX file."
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Restores from NetApp snapshots not fully functional

Post by Gostev »

Correct, this is a known limitation. There are no immediate plans to address it, primarily because today, there are very few valid reasons to deploy VMs this way - with different disks located on different datastores - when we are talking about modern shared storage. On the other hand, adding support for this scenario is a very complex task for us. We will keep monitoring the demand, but I expect it to become less and less common with time due to all the management overhead required with this approach. Thanks!