Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trevora
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Backup failures following license renewal

Post by trevora »

Support Case ID: 00980862

A couple of days ago i updated our support licenses on our two v7 Veeam servers. TBH I didn't pay much attention other than check the support renewal date which was as expected (2016). That evening backups of various VM's failed. We run two Veeam servers each running two backup jobs and split about 40 VM's between them which run on three DRS-enabled hosts (not relevant to this post but in case anyone wonders why we do it this way it's because DR tests have shown us we can restore more VM's at a time from multiple backup files). I had a brief look and realised I had applied a v8 license instead of a v7 license, so I corrected this issue assuming the backups would work tonight.

Unfortunately they've already started failing tonight although only on one Veeam server so far and different VM's are failing that failed the previous night. One possible issue I can see is that on the Veeam server that has had failed jobs already tonight I can only see two of our ESX hosts listed in 'Licensed Hosts' on the support\license window. Now, I guess this could be because it hasn't needed to connect to one of the hosts yet, but my theory at the moment is that the VM's that are failing are on this missing host and it's not happy because it's not licensed. It's difficult to tell at the moment as I'm off-site and we use DRS, so the VM's aren't necessarily on the same host when I check as they were when the backup was attempted. All ESX hosts appear in licensed hosts on the Veeam server that has so far worked ok tonight.

Has anybody come across this before and have any ideas how to resolve this (such as add a licensed host back in manually - i can revoke them but not add)? Obviously i'll look at upgrading to v8 asap but i don't want to do that until i've got the backups working on v7 again.

Thanks in advance
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup failures following license renewal

Post by Vitaliy S. »

trevora wrote:Now, I guess this could be because it hasn't needed to connect to one of the hosts yet, but my theory at the moment is that the VM's that are failing are on this missing host and it's not happy because it's not licensed
ESXi hosts will be added to licensed hosts table, once you start backing up VMs from these hosts, so the issue you see should be caused by something else.
trevora
Enthusiast

Post by trevora »

Vitaliy S. wrote:ESXi hosts will be added to licensed hosts table, once you start backing up VMs from these hosts, so the issue you see should be caused by something else.
Thanks Vitaliy S- I've just had a look this morning after the second job has run (where only one VM failed this time) and our third host is now appearing in the Licensed Host list as you described. This still doesn't explain why only 2 VM's were successful on the previous job on the same Veeam server earlier in the evening, but hopefully support will have some further information today.
trevora
Enthusiast

Post by trevora » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

This issue has now been resolved I believe - we're waiting for the backups to run tonight to confirm but a couple of tests seem to be hopeful.

In case anyone has similar issues the timing of the license renewal appears to have been a complete coincidence. The actual cause of the issues was our vCenter SQL Express database reaching it's size limit and causing a variety of backup error messages. Clearing space in the vCenter DB by executing a stored procedure as per this article http://www.vbrain.info/2014/08/19/vcent ... ning-full/ seems to have resolved the problem.