Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adambrubaker
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Brubaker

Feature Request: On demand SQL transaction log backups

Post by adambrubaker » 1 person likes this post

Hello

It would be nice if there was a way to run an on demand SQL transaction log backup job. Currently we our SQL transaction logs set to backup every hour. This works fine for us but occasionally someone will run a process or an application will go haywire and generate a ton of logs. If this happens and it brings down our application waiting for the next backup interval to expire ins't really a good option. Our current solution is to run a manual transaction log backup from SQL Management Studio. This works but it does not include this in the Veeam backup chain.

Thanks
-Adam
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: On demand SQL transaction log backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Adam,
Can you clarify how frequently you set to backup the transaction logs? Have you considered setting the shorter period? Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you're willing to preserve particular state of SQL VM, haven't you thought about performing a quick backup for that VM after the said process?
adambrubaker
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Brubaker

Post by adambrubaker »

Dima - We currently run our transaction logs every hour. I realize that we can set it to run more frequently but we really don't need to do that. With our previous backup solution we ran them every 6 hours and we were fine with that. Even if I set them to run every 15 minutes I could still have an issue and need to cleanup some transaction logs right away.

Vladimir - I had not thought about doing a quick backup. That would basically run an incremental, but I'm not sure if that process truncates transaction logs or not. Plus incrementals take a while to run (snapshot, mount the disc, backup, etc). Transaction logs are VERY fast. Ours currently run in less than an minute.

Thanks