Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Monitor adding / removing VMs from Folders

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi
Not sure if this should be in the backup forum or in Veeam One forum.....

We have a number of backup jobs based on vSphere folders. The backup admins make sure Veeam is running and has enough storage to backup to. The vSphere admins add VMs to folders to make sure they are backuped. What sometimes happens is that backups fail because a vSphere Admin suddenly added 5 new VMs to a specific folder which made the backup too big and therefore the backup failed because not enough storage was free to write the backup to.

Is there a way to retrieve a report from B&R or from One that shows me which VMs have been added to the vSphere folder and how much storage they use? Or how many VMs have been added to a job (because they have been added to a folder)?

Regards
Gabrie
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert

Re: Monitor adding / removing VMs from Folders

Or can I see the size of a backup job on disk in a report?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Gabrie,

You can try to use job change tracking report, that should return you the list of new objects added to the job. If you want to know the size of these VMs, you can use custom infrastructure report (select VM as a subsystem and add virtual disk size to the parameters) and target it to the Business View group named - VMs with no backups. Given that I understood your configuration correctly, these VMs have to be backed up and all new VMs will appear in that corresponding BV group.

Thanks!
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert

Thank you, I will try that.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Another trick to detect these new VMs would be to use our Protected VMs report with RPO parameter set, for example, to 1 day. In this case, all new VMs will be listed as unprotected (most likely) and you could use any existing configuration report to find out how much space they consume on the source datastore.