Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sorin Pop

Info required on folder name construction

Post by spp »

Hello,

I have a Veeam Backup & Replication v8 solution backing up VMware ESX/ESXi v4/v5 virtual machines.
My Veeam backup Server is a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, and my Veeam Backup Repository is stored on a Linux-based machine.

Occasionnally, on my storage machine I find backup-files storing folders named like "Folder", "Folder_1", "Folder_2".
I'm here looking for information on this folder-naming logic.
I did some search on Veeam forums and Internet, but didn't find any clear explanation.

Can you explain this mechanism to me?
Or else, can you point me to the Veeam docs that explain it?
I need these explanation to find a way to avoid/block the creation of numbered folders and store all the vbk/vrb files in the same unique folder "Folder".

Thanx a lot.

Sorin.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Info required on folder name construction

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Occasionnally, on my storage machine I find backup-files storing folders named like "Folder", "Folder_1", "Folder_2".
I'm here looking for information on this folder-naming logic.
Could you please provide more details on that?
Let's say that you have you root backup folder in, /home/backup/repository_folder. Where do numbered folders appear and how often?

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sorin,

Folder_1, folder_2 can only be created if there is an existing folder with this name and for some reason it cannot be used by a backup job any more. For example, you've re-registered VM in the virtual infrastructure etc. Under normal conditions these folders should not be created.

Thanks!
spp
Novice

Post by spp »

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your replies.

PTide,
When you define a Backup Repository, you need to provide the path of a folder on your machine for the backup-files to be stored.
Under this folder, Veeam Backup and Replication creates a single specific folder for every Veeam Job and it stores the backup-files under subfolders of this specific folders.
E.g.: I define the folder "/synerway/veeam/" as the folder attribute for my Linux-based Backup Repository. My Veeam job "Backup1" will store its backup-files under the folder "/synerway/veeam/Backup1".
But, under some circumstances unknown to me yet, I find, on my Linux machines, folders like "/synerway/veeam/Backup1_1" and "/synerway/veeam/Backup1_2".

Vitaliy,
On small Linux machines, I am regularly copying the Veeam backup-files on a different external storage.
I suppose some of those numbered folders are created after a mixed operation: restore (with copy) of the backup files (vbm, vbk, vrb) on the Linux machine from the external storage, with "rescan repository" action done from within Veeam Backup and Replication after the copy.

Do you think this may be just a problem of transmitting/recovering the credentials? I am using the sudo attributes for the backup repository.

1. Is there a way, or are there some Veeam job attributes, or anything you may think of, that could allow me to force the use of a unique specific folder to store the backup-files, and avoid/block the creation of the numbered subfolders?
2. Is there any Veeam Backup and Replication log information that could point to me when and why a numbered subfolder was created?

Thanks a lot.
Sorin
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sorin,
spp wrote:Do you think this may be just a problem of transmitting/recovering the credentials? I am using the sudo attributes for the backup repository.
Credentials should not be related to this behavior, as duplicated folders with "_1" suffix are added automatically if there is an existing folder this with this name. I would suggest to perform a couple of commonly used actions you do and see what exactly causes these folders to be created.
spp wrote:1. Is there a way, or are there some Veeam job attributes, or anything you may think of, that could allow me to force the use of a unique specific folder to store the backup-files, and avoid/block the creation of the numbered subfolders?
As far as I know, there are no such settings.
spp wrote:2. Is there any Veeam Backup and Replication log information that could point to me when and why a numbered subfolder was created?
Yes, you can review job logs for these names and find out at what time a duplicated name with a suffix has been created.

If you need assistance with this logs parsing, our support team can assist you with this.

Thanks!
spp
Novice

Post by spp »

Ok, I'll go through the logs to further investigate this.

Thank you, guys!