Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Veeam 8 and SMTP

Post by jamerson »

Hi Guys
one of our customer is using Veeam back up and replication version 8 latest patch 8.0.0.2030 but the report somehow stops working can't connect using the SMTP we used to use to send the reports.
tried to contact the SMTP regarding their SMTP but everything works fine
run a tracert smtp.provider.com everything works fine
however the Veeam is not contacting the SMTP.
SMTP is supporting port 587 and port 25 but both are not working.
created a outlook account using the ISP smtp and outlook works fine and cant send with the same SMTP.

any suggestions how to troubleshot this ?

thank you
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Veeam 8 and SMTP

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Julien,
From the Veeam server can you telnet to the SMTP server on ports 587 and 25?
VMCE v9
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

JaxIsland7575 wrote:Julien,
From the Veeam server can you telnet to the SMTP server on ports 587 and 25?
Thank you for your answer
yes i can connect on both ports using telnet
220-smtp11.tb.mail.iss.as9143.net ESMTP Thu, 06 Aug 2015 21:51:16 +0200
220-Sending spam or unsolicited commercial e-mail to this server is strictly
220-prohibited by our NO UBE / NO UCE policy. Abuse will be prosecuted and/or
220 charged per attempted recipient at international postal rates.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

When you configure for port 25 did you uncheck use SSL? Do you know if your SMTP requires SSL or authentication? I would start with a base configuration of just port 25, no SSL, no SMTP authentication. Just fill out the email portion and click Test, see if it goes through.
VMCE v9
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

JaxIsland7575 wrote:When you configure for port 25 did you uncheck use SSL? Do you know if your SMTP requires SSL or authentication? I would start with a base configuration of just port 25, no SSL, no SMTP authentication. Just fill out the email portion and click Test, see if it goes through.
tried both SSL and Without SSL for both ports ports but its comes back with error

Code: Select all

Unable to connect to SMTP server because of invalid credentials or connection settings
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Are you able to send and receive email in outlook on the addresses you are putting into the configuration?

Is the SMTP server setup to receive mail from the Veeam server? I have seen on Exchange where you have to setup a Receive Connector for that Veeam server so Exchange will accept mail from that source.
VMCE v9
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

JaxIsland7575 wrote:Are you able to send and receive email in outlook on the addresses you are putting into the configuration?

Is the SMTP server setup to receive mail from the Veeam server? I have seen on Exchange where you have to setup a Receive Connector for that Veeam server so Exchange will accept mail from that source.
the email is just a pop account to send emails but it doesn't exist.
in one of our customers the email is backup@domain.com " doesn't exist " but the it send without issue.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Ok, another thing to check is to completely disable firewalls and anti-virus just during an email test, they could potentially be blocking the connection as well.
VMCE v9
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

JaxIsland7575 wrote:Ok, another thing to check is to completely disable firewalls and anti-virus just during an email test, they could potentially be blocking the connection as well.
but i can tracert and ping the smtp and connections comes back.
i just disabled antivirus and firewall and the same issues stills exist.
the same error.

thank you for your help
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

From the Veeam side of things it is pretty straight forward. I am not sure what else could be causing the failure. I have had to tweak some of the settings based on the SMTP server. Some setups have no authentication and port 25 and others use authentication and port 587. Not knowing your SMTP setup I am not sure what else to suggest. You could try a support case with Veeam, maybe something in their logs will be more descriptive, or maybe just a Veeam server reboot and see if that helps.
VMCE v9
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

JaxIsland7575 wrote:From the Veeam side of things it is pretty straight forward. I am not sure what else could be causing the failure. I have had to tweak some of the settings based on the SMTP server. Some setups have no authentication and port 25 and others use authentication and port 587. Not knowing your SMTP setup I am not sure what else to suggest. You could try a support case with Veeam, maybe something in their logs will be more descriptive, or maybe just a Veeam server reboot and see if that helps.
some of other customers just put the email address and the destination et voila works fine.
have two others customers with the same issue and pulling my hair out my head but can't get it fixed.

ISP says our SMTP is fine and i can ping it from my the server even telnet to it.
the only common thing between those two customers is they have the same ISP.
two others customers which using the same ISP it works pretty straight forward .
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

My only thought on that is they are blocking it as a relay or they have some sort of authentication required that they didn't give to you. I have never set up Veeam email outside of a domain / Exchange environment so I have not had this issue personally. I know the ISP will deny consistently that it is them, but if you have 2 sites on the same ISP with the same issue, it begins to look more like them. Maybe you can get a tech on the phone and keep sending tests and see what their logs say. I don't know how helpful they would be but it might be worth a shot. If I come across anything else or have something to try I will post it for sure. In the meantime I am sure Veeam will look through this post and add their comments as well!
VMCE v9
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

JaxIsland7575 wrote:My only thought on that is they are blocking it as a relay or they have some sort of authentication required that they didn't give to you. I have never set up Veeam email outside of a domain / Exchange environment so I have not had this issue personally. I know the ISP will deny consistently that it is them, but if you have 2 sites on the same ISP with the same issue, it begins to look more like them. Maybe you can get a tech on the phone and keep sending tests and see what their logs say. I don't know how helpful they would be but it might be worth a shot. If I come across anything else or have something to try I will post it for sure. In the meantime I am sure Veeam will look through this post and add their comments as well!
Thank you so much.
one more thing i have tried to send using SSL on port 587 with ISP email and password for authentication " user@ISP.com "
but its cones back with the same error.

One of Customer we have their exchange and we've created a email on the exchange to send with but the same error.