Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Veeam Virtual Lab Proxy Appliance - Upgrading its resources?

Post by wa15 »

Just recently I set up SureBackup jobs to automatically verify our backups. I noticed that the virtual appliance that gets deployed for the virtual lab has very little resources assigned to it (256MB RAM and 1vCPU) so my question is, would assigning more resources to this VM improve performance of the virtual lab or SureBackup jobs at all? Or does the VM not need more than what is assigned by default? Also, are there any issues with upgrading the virtual appliance hardware version to the most recent version supported on the host (e.g. vm 9 or vmx10)?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Veeam Virtual Lab Proxy Appliance - Upgrading its resour

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Proxy Appliances serves as an arbiter that does not let VMs inside virtual lab to interfere with your production - it manages networking only, please see related article, therefore adding resources to it will give neither positive nor negative impact on performance of your Virtual Lab. Hardware verison upgrade should not produce any issues, as far as I know, unless you have mixed ESXi environment with some hosts not supporting newer versions.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to boost the performance of your backup jobs, you should be looking at the storage where backup files are stored. What's your current backup repository?
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert » 3 people like this post

Remember the AGC (Apollo Guidance Computer) had 64k and ran at 0.043Mhz and it landed on the Moon. Imagine what can do Veeam with 256MB and 1 vcpu ! :D :D
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:If you want to boost the performance of your backup jobs, you should be looking at the storage where backup files are stored. What's your current backup repository?
Thanks for the response. Currently they are all located on a MD1000 and MD3000 DAS (SAS) storage arrays, getting okay performance out of them but we are hoping to upgrade to a beefier iSCSI based Dell EQL array soon.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

If your proxies and repositories are on the same node then you would have better performance staying on a DAS approach than using a ISCSI San array (this depends on the size of your backups and number of proxies / repositories).
I mean, using a Perc with 2g or 4g write cache and some MD3000 with a good bunch of disks would be cheaper and would perform very well (even better than the EQL for that kind of workload).
I wouldn't use an EQL for backup storage, if using Dell products I would rather use 3620i or 3660i, they are good for basic block access, have cache and do not cost much for high capacity.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023