Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MarcinS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

surebackup & appgroup

Post by MarcinS »

Hi,

first question --> can someone explain me when creating application group what for is option
"Select where to browse for VMs: From Infrastructure to browse for VMs in the virtual environment.".

option from backup is clear ...but what is option from infrastructure what will be if i choose from Infrastructure and choose vm machine which have no backup ? so he will "copy" to mine lab real machine from infrastructure or will use real productive machine?

second question --> is possibility to have that machine inside isolation network have possibility to use DNS (external in productive network)

third question is possibility to select which restore point we want to use ? i know about "star to" option in starting surebackup job but what when one vm should be from different time then a second one ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: surebackup & appgroup

Post by PTide »

Hi,
first question
Since SureBackup requires a restore point to perform check procedures on, the job won't start. "From backups" or "from infrastructure" determines the way how we look for a restore point, very similar to backup copy job "source" options - from "backups", "from jobs", "from infrastructure".
second question
It's not recommended and might be dangerous for your production. Aslo you cannot do that in a straight-forward manner, however there is a workaround, please see the related post.
third question
No, it's not possible. May I ask you why do you need that? Maybe someone here will be able to find some kind of a trick that will do the job for you.

Thank you.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Best option is to use Universal Restore console for this. You can select the needed server and restore point. You need Enterprise manager for the Approval process. Check Userguide for details.

This functionality was called U-AIR before.
MarcinS
Enthusiast

Post by MarcinS »

first question Since SureBackup requires a restore point to perform check procedures on, the job won't start. "From backups" or "from infrastructure" determines the way how we look for a restore point, very similar to backup copy job "source" options - from "backups", "from jobs", "from infrastructure".
still little not understood cause for backup copy job is easy ..will always transfer restore points from backup (even when i select from infrastructure)..even is stated "..No matter how You choose to select VM, the job will always get VM data from the existing backup files". But how to understood the same in surebackup with option "from infrastructure" if i will choose "from infrastructure" and will select machine which have no restore points (no backups at all) so that machine will be excluded from test and for the same option for machine which have restore points will be used last one ?
third question No, it's not possible. May I ask you why do you need that? Maybe someone here will be able to find some kind of a trick that will do the job for you.
yes that good idea ...i will say what i need :) ...i need to restore from backup 2 vms (probably from different time for example vm1 from Monday, vm2 from Wednesday) into isolated environment (cause the same vms still work on production). Will be nice if i can give user access to restored machines from outside of isolated network
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Think about the "from infrastructure" that way. If you create backup jobs by selecting them manually in different Jobs. Then one of your storage datastores goes offline with data lost. Then you can just select the datastore at restore wizard and our Interface takes care that all backed up VMs can be restored. If you did not backup all VMs from that datastore, we can not restore them. The same counts for all User Interfaces and wizards where you use that "from infrastructure" or "from backup".
MarcinS
Enthusiast

Post by MarcinS »

thx now is clear ..i was think to much locally ;) ...and i see that i need wider view !
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

Post by michaelryancook »

I would also be interested in a way to use different dates within Surebackup. I need to provide our developers a way to test several servers with current configuration and a sharepoint server from several weeks ago. Basically the sharepoint was known to work at that time and they would like to prove that it is sharepoint changes not changes on the other servers that has caused the current issue.

Would U-AIR possibly provide this option? If not does anyone have any ideas? I guess restoring the VMs and manually attaching to the proxy appliance is a possibility.