Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Tnjus
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Thomas M Njus

Backup Copy from Version6 backup on different server

Post by Tnjus »

We have a client currently running version 6.1 for their daily backups. We would like to use a separate version 8 system (completely different Veeam server) to do a backup copy to our offsite data center. I am having difficulty configuring the backup copy job so that it finds valid restore points to process. I've pointed the source for the backup copy to the NAS that contains the backups, and tried selecting via infrastructure/data stores, infrastructure/Hosts and Clusters, and infrastructure/VMs and templates. None of those work. My questions are: Is it even possible to do what I'm attempting? (using 2 different instances of Veeam) Can you point the backup copy job in Veeam 8 to a backup job (by job name) on the Veeam 6.1 system?

I don't have enough disk space to create the backup job on the new Veeam 8 server (which would be the easiest, I know), so I'm looking for other options.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
Tnjus
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Thomas M Njus

Re: Backup Copy from Version6 backup on different server

Post by Tnjus »

Turns out version 6.1 files are not compatible with version 8. I am going to recreate the daily backups on the version 8 system and go from there (after I make some free space)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy from Version6 backup on different server

Post by veremin »

Backup files created by VB&R 6.1 are compatible with version 8. The question is whether those files can be used as a source for a backup cop job. I highly doubt that someone has tried it before.

In the way I see it, the easiest way would be to update client's infrastructure to the latest product version, and use this workaround, since it doesn't make a lot of sense to use obsolete product version that is not even supported any longer.

Thanks.