Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
wsususer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jürgen Möbius

Backup --> Change Partition size --> Restore

Post by wsususer »

questions to understand:

following scenario:

Volume-Level Backup

Have a hard drive with 2 partitions: C: 100 GB D: 900 GB

Create Backups (full backup plus forever-incremental backups).

Now I change the partition size. --> C: 120 GB D: 880 GB with a Partition-Size Tool at the date xx.xx.xxxx

I'm still making more incremental backups after date xx.xx.xxxx --> is that even possible ?

at date xx.xx.xxxx plus 30 Days i have issues on Partitio C: and lost data --> I must Restoring from Veeam Recovery Media (Volume-Level-restore)

What happens with the partition size during the Restore-Process ?

Select Restore Point after date xx.xx.xxxx (after partition size change) --> Will create VEB the partition with 120 GB or with 100 GB ?

Select Restore Point bevor date xx.xx.xxxx (bevor partition size change) --> Will create VEB the partition with 120 GB or with 100 GB ?

same senaio --> Now the C partition is smaller than before

Have a hard drive with 2 partitions: C: 100 GB D: 900 GB
Now I change the partition size. --> C: 80 GB D: 920 GB with a Partition-Size Tool at the date xx.xx.xxxx

Select Restore Point after date xx.xx.xxxx (after partition size change) --> Will create VEB the partition with 80 GB or with 100 GB ?

Select Restore Point bevor date xx.xx.xxxx (bevor partition size change) --> Will create VEB the partition with 80 GB or with 100 GB ?
If it is 100 GB --> what happens with the D: - Partition ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup --> Change Partition size --> Restore

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jürgen,
I'm still making more incremental backups after date xx.xx.xxxx --> is that even possible ?
Yup, but the size of the increment might be equal to the new full backup size due layout change.
It completely depends on the restore point you’ve selected. If the restore point with old disk layout is gone due retention then the only option would be to restore the new disk layout.
wsususer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jürgen Möbius

Post by wsususer »

Have not yet understood it in detail.
Please help me

Important: I save only the partition C: with VEB
hard drive has 2 partitions: C: 100 GB / D: 900 GB
Now I change the partition size. --> C: 120 GB D: 880 GB with a Partition-Size Tool without datalost.
I'm still making more incremental backups with the new Partition-Layout 120 / 880 GB.
now I selected restore point with old Layout: C: 100 GB D: 900 GB
VEB sets only the C partition instead of 120 GB now with 100 GB on and loads data from the backup back ? --> your Reply .....................
and
what happens with the unsecured D: partition ? --> your Reply .....................
The layout from Partitio D: is changed from 880 to 900 GB and data on D: are destroyed ? --> your Reply .....................

thx
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jürgen,
Restore point of the certain day always keeps the disk layout of the certain day.
According to your post volume D is not included in the backup and its layout is not preserved.
VEB sets only the C partition instead of 120 GB now with 100 GB on and loads data from the backup back ?
and
After recovery you will have the following layout:

Volume C: 100GB - from the backup, overwrites the old volume C 120GB
Unallocated disk space: 20GB. Probably between volume C and D.
Volume D: 880GB - original, remains on disk. Should not be damaged by restore procedure.