Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sirhideo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Frankie

Tape Rotation Scheme

Post by sirhideo »

Current I have a Forward Incremental Backup job with a retention period of 90 days. Each month first Monday does Active Full.
Then I have a Daily File to Tape job which copies *.* of the above backup repository (vbk + vib).
We have planned on using 1 tape to hold 1 month of the backup data without any tape rotation.

Question arise. Since the destination backup repository is holding 90 days retention, starting from next month first Monday it will be an active full. However, the File to Tape job is doing *.* copy. Is there a way I can setup on the file to tape job to make sure every tape is holding 1 vbk and all the vib before next vbk?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape Rotation Scheme

Post by veremin »

You mean to make a file to tape job find the latest .vbk and increments dependent on it and copy those in accordance?
sirhideo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Frankie

Post by sirhideo »

yes, cos I am imagining from next month the file to tape job will copy everything (included last month vbk and vib) from the backup repository into the new tape.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In this case, the script that searches through the given directory, finds the latest .vbk along with dependent increments, and sets them as source for the tape job looks like a way to go.

As to copying unnecessary data, it will depend on tape overwrite protection period. In other words, whether or not the said .vbk and .vibs have been copied to tapes previously and are present on them.

Thanks.