Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
philly
Novice
Liked: never

Restore volume and MBR

Post by philly »

I recently had a bootldr not found error when booting up Windows 7, and did a volume restore, but that didn't seem to fix or affect my bootup issues at all. I wound up having to go through the Window RE, rebuild the MBR and mark the partition active in order to get the OS to load.

Should Veeam Endpoint Backup restore the MBR partition when restoring an entire volume?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore volume and MBR

Post by Dima P. »

Hi philly,
Should Veeam Endpoint Backup restore the MBR partition when restoring an entire volume?
Yes. Can you please elaborate were you backing up a single OS volume or entire computer? Thanks
philly
Novice

Post by philly »

It was a single volume, which was all that I was backing up. I have other drives, but they are all external and not backed up.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Did you protect the full computer or choose single volume? And in case of the latter, did you exclude / include the hidden partitions?
philly
Novice

Post by philly »

I believe I chose single volume. I don't recall seeing an option to exclude or include anything, but that may be where I made the mistake. I can run through the motions again tonight to see what options I likely chose.
philly
Novice

Post by philly »

The hidden partition is included in the backup. Both the 'restore volume' and 'restore entire computer' options looked the same (to me) on the summary page just before the job is submitted, but the hidden partition is not listed. There's nothing complex about my setup - it's one 1TB drive. I let Windows install and use as much as it could when installing the OS. It made the hidden partition.

I don't see any logs about the recovery, and it isn't listed in the control panel.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

philly,

Could you pleas share the restore logs with me via google drive or dropbox (if possible send me a link via PM)? It should be placed in the backup repository once the restore process was completed. Thank you in advance.
philly
Novice

Post by philly »

Will do. I didn't look there. I will have to look at it again, but much later today.

Thank you for the responses.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Great thank you - awaiting for your response.