Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tpoussot
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thierry Poussot

Veeam Explorer for AD and AD Recycle Bin enable

Post by tpoussot »

Hello,
i read that Veeam Explorer for AD needs AD recycle bin feature disabled.

Our forest and domain are in Windows 2008R2 mode with recycle bin feature enable.
Could we use use Veeam explore to restore object, attributes ...
Compare to Microsoft native possibility, Veeam have cool feature like production comparison, attributes restoration .....

regards
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Veeam Explorer for AD and AD Recycle Bin enable

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Yes, you can perform restores using Veeam explorer if you have a transactionally consistent backup of your Active Directory Domain Services server. AD Recycle Bin has to be disabled in order to restore from tombstone objects. If no tombstone objects are accessible, then Veeam will pull the desired object for restoration from a backup file.

If any clarification needed please ask.

Thank you.
tpoussot
Novice

Post by tpoussot »

yes i need clarification.
let say today i delete an object, this object will be put in the recycle bin.
3 days after i need to restore this object from a consistent Veeam AD backup.

what happen ??? this object is not in the tombstone (recycle bin feature enable).
does the object will be restore with new SID/GUID ?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

In case you need to restore an object then Veeam looks for it either in a tombstone container or in a recycle bin (in your case that would be a recycle). If nothing's found then Veeam needs to restore the object from backup. If you restore the object from a backup then your GUID and SID will change. In case of a tombstone/resyscle restoration GUID and SID do not change.

Thank you.
tpoussot
Novice

Post by tpoussot »

thanks for your quickly answer.
if i well understand Veeam work in the same way with recycle bin enable or not . if yes maybe clarification should be add in veeam explorer guide, we can find p9 :
"Important!
To be able to restore from tombstone objects, make sure that AD Recycle Bin feature is disabled (default setting) in the target domain"
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

if yes maybe clarification should be add in veeam explorer guide, we can find p9 :
I agree. There is a "Send feedback" hyperlink in the very bottom of the page, I think that you could send them a few words regarding your confusion with an article.

Thank you.
tpoussot
Novice

Post by tpoussot »

i have open a case to the support.
Veeam explorer for AD work the same way with AD recycle bin feature enable or not.
just be careful if you don't have activate the feature and you want to activate it, all deleted objects that were in tombstone will be lost.