Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
atyler555
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Tyler

Proper configuration of replication?

Post by atyler555 »

Hello, I am curious to know what the Veeam approach is for configuring multiple VMs for replication. Let's say you want an RPO of 4 hours for your entire environment. Is it recommended you create one job for all VMs or should you create multiple jobs? What is the best practice here? Do all VMs replicate simultaneously when one job is created or do they take turns?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: Proper configuration of replication?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

General recommendation would be to group VMs by RPO, source and any other attribute that differs among VM groups. Also, while grouping, one should take into consideration the difficulty/ease of management. You've mentioned that your RPO is the same for the entire environment, so, for example, that would be better to place all VMs that reside on the same storage volume in the same job. For more detailed advice please provide some information about your environment.

Thank you.
atyler555
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Tyler

Post by atyler555 »

Pavel, thanks for your reply. That was going to be one of my questions too. We use NetApp integration and some VMs reside on different volumes. Sounds like creating a job for each volume is a good idea.. Otherwise we'll likely end up with multiple storage snapshots per volume.. If those VMs are ever storage vMotioned over to a different volume I guess that Veeam replication job would need to be modified.

What about threads or queues when it comes to running a replication task with 30 VMs? Is the replication job trying to move data for each VM simultaneously or is this configurable?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Adam,

If you're going to use storage snapshot integration, then grouping VMs based on the LUN they are located is definitely recommended.
atyler555 wrote: If those VMs are ever storage vMotioned over to a different volume I guess that Veeam replication job would need to be modified.
It depends on how you configure your replication jobs. For example, if you specify the entire volume to backup, then all new VMs added to this LUN will be backed up automatically.
atyler555 wrote:What about threads or queues when it comes to running a replication task with 30 VMs? Is the replication job trying to move data for each VM simultaneously or is this configurable?
You can control how many VMs to replicate at the same time via tasks setting in the proxy server.

Thanks!