Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
krogerss
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Backup to tape behavior

Post by krogerss »

Hi all, currently all my Backup to disk jobs have a tape job linked to them and it starts upon the source job's completion. Yesterday, I changed the name of one of my source jobs as well as the folder name in the repository that this job writes to. This was primarily done so that the job name in the "Backups on disk" screen reflected the same name as the job because I had changed the job name before, but this screen always reflected the old name. Anyways, last night when the tape job ran, it copied the entire backup chain to tape rather than the latest incremental. Is this expected behavior when changing the job name and backup folder name even though these files had already been written to tape? Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup to tape behavior

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Yesterday, I changed the name of one of my source jobs as well as the folder name in the repository that this job writes to.
Please give us more details on what you exactly did - how did you rename job, folder, is your repo backed by rotated drives, did you pointed your renamed job to the old chain?

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

UPDATE:

Also please tell us what kind of a tape job do you use? Is it file to tape or backup to tape?
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

I believe I chose to "Remove from backups" (not disk) then I renamed the job, then renamed the folder. Rescanned the repository and then mapped the job to the renamed folder. Also, its a "Backups to Tape" job. Thanks.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The thing is, that changing folder name is enough to provoke such behaviour - your folder name changes --> paths to files change --> backup to tape job treats you backup files as new backup files, you don't even have to change your job name.

Thank you.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Ok, that stinks though since the backup files have not changed. Guess I wont be doing that anymore; I don't have enough tapes to support this. Just another reason why I wish we would stop using tapes. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

krogerss,
I’ll see what we can do about this behavior, so thanks for sharing! By the way, if you want to keep changing the source jobs you can stick to file to tape jobs instead of backup to tape jobs.