Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Instant VM Restore to nested esxi.

Post by JosueM »

Good day everyone.

I got a couple of VMs for developing demos, I was trying to restore a backup to my laptop win 7 64b that has VBR server and is using vmware workstation 11 and has a nested exsi 5, since hard drive restriction I cannot give the nested esxi vm more hard drive space.

But when I try to instant vm restore it errors with: unable to mount vpower NFS, I guess theres is some kind of conflict maybe with the ports, I tried to change default ports on the backup repository but no luck neither.

Any idea or suggestion , how can this be done?

Thanks in advance
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Instant VM Restore to nested esxi.

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Where do you have you vPower NFS configured? That might be a permission issue - please check if vPowerNFS and Veeam Backup services have enough permissions on the vPower folder.

Also, please check if there are any orphaned instances of the same NFS on you ESXi - if any then delete them, do a rescan and try restoring again.

P.S. This thread contains some information on this issue, please check.

Thank you.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hello PTide,

The vpower NFS is running on the same laptop. I checked the permissions and no see anything different. I tested according this article: http://www.veeam.com/kb1055 and all goes ok except the adding the datastore manually wich fails with the same error message. I also disabled the firewall in the laptop.

I tried to change the ports on the vpower NFS settings but then the services does not run, then I set the values back to defaults and the service starts fine.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM » 3 people like this post

Solved! I found this article wich point the problem in this case is the nested esxi had no license installed, after installing license all worked jus fine.

http://www.veeam.com/kb1289

Thanks.