Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cwhitmore
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlton Whitmore

Strange behavior with 3rd party VSS provider

Post by cwhitmore »

Case# 00462397

I'm running two 2008 R2 Hyper-V hosts in a cluster. All of my volumes are CSVs. I'm running the VBR 7 with patch1 on a physical host which is also the off-host.
My SAN is a Datacore Sansymphony-V mirrored to a second SSV server and I'm trying to use their VSS provider which is installed on both hosts and the backup server.
If I backup a VM on a host I get 12292 and 13 errors in the Application events and the backup fails, but if I goto the Backup Infrastructure and choose the host where the VM resides I can manage the volumes and the Datacore VSS is one of the choices. Here's the strange part, if I follow these instructions below:

Open Component Services. (run dcomcnfg.exe) on the VSS client
In the console tree, locate COM+ Application folder ->DataCore VSS Hardware Provider.
Right-click DataCoreVSS Hardware Provider and go to properties.
On the Identity tab, click 'This user', and input the user name and password of an account with Domain\Administrator account.

then the snapshot is taken on the SAN and the backup works. The only problem is that the snapshot isn't unserved from the host and can't be deleted. I have to manually unserve it and delete it from the SAN. The other strange thing is that when I go back into the Backup Infrastructure and choose to manage that same Host the Datacore VSS is not longer available for the volumes on that VM. Even stranger, volumes owned by a host do not have the Datacore VSS option, but if the volumes are owned by the other host the Datacore VSS is available. (example: Host1 owns c:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 but not Volume2, datacore VSS is available as VSS option for Volume2, but not Volume1 on Host1)
RogerJany
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Roger Jany

Re: Strange behavior with 3rd party VSS provider

Post by RogerJany »

Hello CWhitmore,

Do you find any solution for this Problem?
The first time i configure the Job with application aware Backup i can get a backup. After i try to set this to other Jobs it Fails. Now i can't it get to run.
The registered provider does not support shadow copy of this volume.

Roger
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Strange behavior with 3rd party VSS provider

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Roger, this case was resolved by installing the latest version of VSS provider from DataCore. If this solution doesn't apply to you, then please contact our technical team for further troubleshooting.