Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

File Backup to Tape Timeout

Post by cffit »

I backup a lot of files/folders each weekend, and one directory contains a lot of sql transaction log files that get overwritten each hour. I know before the backup runs, VEEAM makes a list of all the files it should backup. When I do a backup to tape, sometimes the backup runs for a few hours and by the time it gets to this sql log directory (not the actual sql server, just a backup folder for sql), some of those files are then gone. The backup seems to spend a very long time waiting to find those files that will never exist again. Is there a timeout that I can adjust or how does this work when VEEAM comes across files that were in the initial scan, but once the backup actually gets to them they are then gone?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: File Backup to Tape Timeout

Post by veremin »

Didn't you get any "File not found" error? I'm wondering because that's what should happen if a tape job doesn't find a file that has been enumerated at the time the job started. Thanks.
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit »

Yes we do, but it seems to at the very end of the backup job to go retry all these missing files and it seems to wait and try them for some time. The last 20 minutes of our backup is spent it seems just trying to find and backup files that don't exist anymore.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It shouldn't happen for sure, as files' enumerator works once (at the job's beginning). You should be notified about the files that cannot be found with the said message, and a job should not retry them at all.

So, your job closer to the end of its cycle seems to be spending time on something different than retrying files that it cannot find. Please, let our support team analyze job logs to get a definite answer.

Thanks.