Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
samburdett
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sam Burdett

Hyper V Host loosing partial network connectivity

Post by samburdett »

Hi all,

First time poster long time Veeam user.

Recently I installed Endpoint backup (1.10.110) on a physical SBS2011 server which then links into Veeam Backup and replication running on a Win 2012 R2 Hyper V host.
The endpoint backup is configured to use the remote repository (Qnap NAS) configured on the 2012 Hyper V Veeam B&R install and seems to integrate with B&R with no problem at all.
We start to face issues when backing up the physical SBS.
The endpoint backup will start and run through a good portion of the backup, however it will randomly stop and then the Hyper V host is no longer reachable.
The host looses internet connection, and you cannot ping the host via IP or FQDN from the SBS.
You can connect to the host by RDP'ing from one of the hosted VM's back to the host which reports limited or no connectivity on its NICS and the only way to get 'proper' connectivity back is to reboot the host (with this being a single host it takes down the VMs too)
To try and rule out the issue i disabled the endpoint backup and didnt seem to have any issues at all.
If i then re-run the endpoint backup the problem appears again (although it is random on how long the endpoint backup will run before it causes the problem again)
All install settings with regards to ports on the endpoint backup were left as default and the Hyper V host is not using broadcom NICS (as i know there are some issues with these within Hyper V)
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue or has any ideas on what could be causing the problem?

Regards
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Hyper V Host loosing partial network connectivity

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Welcome to the forums Sam!
Did you open a support case from the endpoint Control Panel? Once you do that go ahead and post the ID number on this thread for tracking. I myself have not seen this behavior but support can definitely help.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
jeancharles
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jean-Charles DEMARQUE

Post by jeancharles »

Hello,

I would suspect you are facing the 1Gb ethernet OEM BUG...

https://www.petri.com/hyper-v-network-issues-1-gbe-nics

Please try and apply this mod to see if you Hyper-V server behaves better after.

Jaycee
samburdett
Novice

Post by samburdett »

Many thanks for both replies.
I haven't opened a case as of yet but will try Jaycee's suggestion first and see if it makes a difference.
I did speak to Microsoft some time ago and was advised VMQ to be disabled on broadcom NICS but wasn't aware it spread across all manufacturers :-)
I'll get it done and report back a.s.a.p
Appreciate you both for taking the time to reply :)
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I had to do this on my cluster and I disabled it on the NIC itself as well as in the settings for each virtual machine just to be safe. I was troubleshooting loss of network connectivity during live migrations.

Let us know how it works out!
VMCE v9
dacky7
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Dack

Post by dacky7 »

How did you get on samburdett? We are having a ton of performance issues with Veeam V8 since upgrading from V7. Be interested to see how you get on.

Cheers,
samburdett
Novice

Post by samburdett » 2 people like this post

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay.
I disabled all VMQ related settings on the Hyper V host NIC's and on the virtual machines themselves (within the hyper v NIC settings)
This seemed to fix all issues :)
Endpoint is now backing up to the Veeam B&R repository with no issues at all.

Appreciate the advice from all those involved!