Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Veeam Endpoint Protection failure SQL issue?

Post by danswartz »

So I had it working just fine in my Windows 7 Pro box. I was cleaning out a bunch of unused SW, including SQL Server 2014 (I don't remember why I had that installed), when suddenly VEP stopped working. After a lot of poking and digging, I came up with this:

"The database 'VeeamBackup' cannot be opened because it is version 782. This server supports version 706 and earlier."

Even though I have the requisite Server 2012 Express LocalDB installed, VEP seems to keep trying to create/use a 2014 version? I have uninstalled VEP and all 3 components of server 2012 express, deleted the directories they were in (I think), cleaned out any registry keys, and then reinstalled VEP. To no avail. The directories I deleted are recreated as expected, but the same error is thrown every time. I initially assumed a stale DB was left around, but I can't see where. I've searched for any keys/data in the registry that say VeeamBackup but don't find any. I presume I could 'fix' this by installing SQL Server 2014, but that seems, well, inelegant :) Any tips welcome...
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Veeam Endpoint Protection failure SQL issue?

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Dan,
Have you gone through VEB Control Panel and opened a case with support? That would definitely be the first place to start!

Cheers!
VMCE v9
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

I was hoping to avoid that :) No knock on them, I was just hoping someone would say 'oh, you just need to do X!' I'll do that now...
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I totally understand! I don't know if this would work for your case but there is a way to recreate the database which is described here:http://www.veeam.com/kb2057

It may be worth a shot to try.
VMCE v9
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Hmmm, I'll give that a try, thanks! p.s. installing sql 2014 didn't work, since the VEP install insists on installing 2012 localdb. i'm guessing somehow the 2014 executables got used instead of 2012. maybe why it didn't work above is because i installed 2014, and *then* installed VEP? Anyway, here's hoping...
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I would remove 14 and VEB, then do VEB first and see if that takes the correct DB.
VMCE v9
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

That did it, thanks!
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

You're welcome, thanks for the update. :D

Cheers!
VMCE v9