Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JaquesC
Influencer
Liked: never

Manipulation of Backup Copy Job

Post by JaquesC »

Hi here,

Short version:

If I have a broken backup copy job, and broken incremental files, to many copy interval pauses/failures etc...

Lets say you have started a new vm backup, you have done a full + 1st incremental, now you start a backup copy job of that to another repository, if you had broken the backup copy job, can you let say delete all other "files" and only leave the full and metadata, then copy the incremental file from the source backup job, change the name to reflect the deleted incremental (because this info is in the metadata file) and re-sync the job for it to work?

During backup copy jobs, I have a feeling the metadata file changes allot during the job running/failing etc... and am I right in saying that it does some edit work on the other files as well, meaning that a simple file copy/rename type fix wont suffice since the internal config of all the files including the metadata gets changed when this runs?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Manipulation of Backup Copy Job

Post by PTide »

Hi,
am I right in saying that it does some edit work on the other files as well, meaning that a simple file copy/rename type fix wont suffice
Yes, you are right. Backup Copy job produces its own, independent backup chain, and none of its RPs can be replaced in a copy/rename fashion.

I'm not sure that I understand your goals correctly. Do you want to start a BCJ anew having only initial Full backup? Please elaborate.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Manipulation of Backup Copy Job

Post by foggy »

Right, backup copy job doesn't copy backup files as a whole, but rather synthetically creates required restore points in target location from VM data in source backup repositories. What you could probably do to avoid copying the entire data to remote location, is deleting all the increments from the backup copy chain, make it a source for the new backup copy to create a new full and them map remote backup copy job to that full.