Backup off-site VM

Post by simyan »

Hi everyone!

I have 2 sites
Site A have 2 ESX hosts, vCenter server and Veeam Backup server
Site B have 1 ESX host
Site A and B are connected together with a 10mbps VPN link
Each site have it's own NAS for backup

When Veeam Backup server run job on the ESX host of the site B, all data pass on the VPN link to Veeam server and return to the NAS on the VPN.
The backup job take some days and because of this, the Internet link is unusable.

It is my Veeam Backup job that are misconfigured ? Or Veeam Backup work like that ?

Thanks you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup off-site VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Yan,

Could you please clarify what backup job mode have you chosen for your backups? Also please tell us what versions of ESX hosts are you currently running? Do you have your NAS device mounted to the ESX host or you're using it as a network share?

Thanks!
simyan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Yan

Post by simyan »

ESX 4
Backup Mode : VMware vStorage API : SAN with failover (Network traffic encryption unchecked)

NAS are used as network share.
After some research, I think it's my mistake. I need to mount it on the ESX host, right ?

Thanks for your answer.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yan,

In your case I would recommend you to follow Anton's instructions regarding NAS device usage provided with the link below:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... nux#p15262

That should help you to increase the performance speed rates for your jobs.

Thanks!
simyan
Novice

Post by simyan »

I have follow instruction
- mount NAS to /mnt/share on the ESX host of Site B
- Add Linux server to Veeam Backup
- Use Linux server as destination

After 12h, only 750Mo was copied. The backup run around 40kb/s, it will take a while to backup a VM of 200gb.
Does it do something wrong ?

Thanks
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Simyan,

It's still unclear to me where your backup server is exactly, but it sounds like the VM is in Site B and the Veeam BaR Server is in Site A. If this is the case the easiest solution for you would be to install and instance of Veeam BaR in Site B for VMs in that site. This would ensure the job prociessing is happening locally to site B. You can install as many instances of our products as you need under our licensing. Then use our Enterprise Monitor to watch all your jobs across all instances of your Veeam BaR servers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yan,

You should have mounted NAS device to a Linux server and not to ESX host, also to keep all the traffic locally on the remote site you should use Network backup mode (3rd radiobutton). In this case all the data will be flowing via LAN on the remote site.

But I agree with Richard, if you have such an opportunity I would also recommend you to install Veeam Backup server on the remote site and use Virtual Appliance mode for you backups.To manage all your Veeam Backup and Replication servers you may use Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager. All your job statuses will be updated automatically by scheduled data collection jobs, also you can centrally run jobs from all added backup servers using Enterprise manager console.

Thanks!
simyan
Novice

Post by simyan »

rbrambley wrote:You can install as many instances of our products as you need under our licensing.
Good to know

You are right Richard, the VM is in Site B and the Veeam BaR Server is in Site A.

I will check for the Network backup mode as a temporally solution.
The ESX host doesn't have enough disk space for create a VM for Veeam BaR. (I will probably change harddisks this weekend)
And after, i will check for Richard's solution.

Many thanks for your help.