Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ceez
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cesar

Veeam and Azure for DRaaS, need some info

Post by ceez »

Hello all,

Veeam v9 is not here quick enough and I am interested in getting DRaaS setup. Currently running v8 with latest patch.

From my understanding I can spin up a server via Azure, install Veeam on this azure server (using my current license?), start a failover replica from my on-premise veeam to my azure server veeam.

In case of a disaster looming, I then initiate failover from my on-premise veeam and my replicated backups will spin up on the azure server? How about network configuration, external DNS, etc...?

I am trying to find some doc, videos, guides on the topic but there's too much info out there and I can't seem to find what I need.

Thank you!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam and Azure for DRaaS, need some info

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Cesar,
Here is a guide about VBR+Azure customization:
Veeam Cloud Connect: Manual configuration guide for Microsoft Azure.
However, it`s only for cloud backup.

Cloud replication is going to be among v9 features.
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You mean to have ability to replicate production VMs directly to Azure? If so, it's not possible, as in case of Azure you don't have access to underlying host, required to replication to work. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Keep in mind that Cloud Connect functionality is available for VCPs (Veeam Cloud Providers) only. If you're searching for DRaaS setup, then it might worth contacting any existing VCPs to check all available options.
ceez wrote: I then initiate failover from my on-premise veeam and my replicated backups will spin up on the azure server? How about network configuration, external DNS, etc...?
As Vladimir said replication to Azure currently is not possible, and I believe the same reasons are applicable to backup files (restoring VMs directly to Azure).
ceez
Enthusiast

Post by ceez »

Shestakov wrote:Hello Cesar,
Here is a guide about VBR+Azure customization:
Veeam Cloud Connect: Manual configuration guide for Microsoft Azure.
However, it`s only for cloud backup.

Cloud replication is going to be among v9 features.
Thanks!
that's the same guide I found which is only for msp's. I can't wait for v9 to arrive.

v.Eremin wrote:You mean to have ability to replicate production VMs directly to Azure? If so, it's not possible, as in case of Azure you don't have access to underlying host, required to replication to work. Thanks.
I wouldn't be able to spin up a vm in azure, install veeam and create a replica failover plan to it?
Vitaliy S. wrote:Keep in mind that Cloud Connect functionality is available for VCPs (Veeam Cloud Providers) only. If you're searching for DRaaS setup, then it might worth contacting any existing VCPs to check all available options.
As Vladimir said replication to Azure currently is not possible, and I believe the same reasons are applicable to backup files (restoring VMs directly to Azure).
yes I am going to reach out to the VCPs available, I am just wondering if this is just for offsite storage or can I create a replica failover as well.

I guess I will need to wait for v9 to fully accomplish what I want, correct?

When the heck is v9 coming out?!?!?!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ceez wrote:yes I am going to reach out to the VCPs available, I am just wondering if this is just for offsite storage or can I create a replica failover as well.
It depends, if you want to have live replica VMs ready for failover, then you should be searching for MSPs that provide IaaS (infrastructure as a service). If you want to have a possibility to send backups to the offsite location (cloud) and then have a possibility to restore VMs there, then this could also be an option that is offered my some VCP as well.
ceez wrote:I wouldn't be able to spin up a vm in azure, install veeam and create a replica failover plan to it?
Replica failover plan just powers on a replicated VM. This VM should already be registered on the ESXi or Hyper-V host, with Azure it is not possible due to no direct access to the underlying host. Maybe I'm missing something, but can you please clarify this step: "create a replica failover plan to it?"
ceez wrote:I guess I will need to wait for v9 to fully accomplish what I want, correct?
With v9 you will be able to replicate to any VCP's cloud, however this will not change anything in terms of replication to the Azure cloud.
ceez wrote:When the heck is v9 coming out?!?!?!
You can subscribe to this web page to be among the first ones to know ;)
ceez
Enthusiast

Post by ceez »

I want to accomplish two things:
1- the ability to have live replicas ready for failover hosted offsite to a VCP.
2- have an offsite cloud host for backups (or backup copy jobs) in which I can restore to on-premise, either file level, virtual disk or entire vm.

In regards to azure, what I mean about replica failover goes back to #1, ability to have live replicas ready to failover to in case of an emergency.

So to accomplish the live replica I just need to wait for v9 to come out and then sign up with a VPC, and yes, I think I've entered my email there at least twice for good measure. It's already Q3 so what's the hold up! :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

1-2. These scenarios will not be possible with Azure Cloud no matter what version you're going to use v8 or v9. In case of Azure you will be able to restore guest OS files or VM files.

In order to failover a live VM you should be looking elsewhere (another cloud). Thanks!