Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nrc
Novice
Liked: never

No Backup of SAP machines

Post by nrc »

Hi,

We have a 2012R2 Hyper-V Cluster with several 2008R2 and 2012R2 Servers.
Backup on the machines work fine exept for two machines.
We have installed two new machines with 2012R2, SQL Server 2012 and SAP (netweaver?) 7
These machines can't be backup up with 'application Aware processing'. Therefore the logfiles will not be truncated, and I assume that the SQL Server is only in crash consistent state.
We are backuing up the SQL Server now with the inbuild backup, but want Veeam to make this.
I have setup a third machine with the same OS and SQL Version same patch Level, but without SAP. These machines works fine.
On the SAP machines I get a 'can't create snapshot' failure and the SQL VSS writer is i an error state after that.
The eventlog shows some Errors beginning with SQLVDI error 1 and after that MSSQLSERVER error 18210.

Has anybody seen this before?

Cheers
Florian
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: No Backup of SAP machines

Post by PTide »

Hi,

First of all, I have to say that I have almost no experience with SAP, so be careful - nothing of what I'm going to say has been tested by myself.
nrc wrote:The eventlog shows some Errors beginning with SQLVDI error 1<...>
Have you seen this thread already? Folks there experienced the similar problem.
nrc wrote:<...>and after that MSSQLSERVER error 18210.
Error 18210 may occur when a third-party tool (Veeam in our case) tries to backup SQL databases using native T-SQL commands or by backing up the .mdf and .ldf files and via usage of VDI (which is apparently the case) or VSS. Please check the link given, it might resolve the latter error.

Also, please tell us which version of VBR do you use?

Thank you.