Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Using NIC Teaming to increase backup speeds

Post by mongie »

Hello,

Our current hardware setup involves two VMware hosts with shared SAS Storage, a separate physical server with Veeam installed, and a VM running on the VMware hosts with the Proxy service installed. We use HotAdd for backups (also tested NBD). Unfortunately, these sites are stuck with 1Gb ethernet networking, and its the bottleneck for all of my backups at the moment.

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to use NIC teaming to double my bandwidth for backups, as I know the source and target disks are capable of more than 110MB/s. Unfortunately, so far, my efforts with Windows teaming have done nothing... I still only get 1Gb throughput from Proxy to Backup Server. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if they found any way of getting it to work with Veeam?

Thanks,
Alex
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Re: Using NIC Teaming to increase backup speeds

Post by mongie »

Giving up on Teaming...

If I connect my backup server to the primary storage (Dell MD3420) via SAS, will I be able to use SAN mode?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

NIC teaming for better throughput from proxy to repository is entirely possible, but I haven't worked much with it so I can't provide you with any specific recommendations.

Direct SAN via shared SAS is not officially supported. I have heard of customers getting it to work, but we haven't tested it.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Depending on your hardware, it might be possible to use Direct SAN transport mode with SAS storage, please look at this topic.