lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Compacting Backup File wont complete, out of disk space

Post by lando_uk »

Case ID: 01015746

Hi

Just waiting on this case to be answered, but thought I'd ask here as maybe get quicker response as time is short...

I have a copy job that is compacting a large vbk, but it wont complete because the repository is out of disk space. I wish to cancel the compact job, but keep the last good vbk, then reduce the retention down a little to free up space for the next time it runs. I can't stop the running job, but when I click disable I get a message saying my job will be left in an inconsistent state and that is something I cant afford.

v7

Suggestions?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Compacting Backup File wont complete, out of disk space

Post by veremin »

Manually cancelling a compact full operation should not result in anything bad or unrecoverable.

During compact full operation data is being taken from an existing full backup and written to the so-called "temp file". Once it's done, the both existing full backup and a newly created file get renamed to "to_delete.vbk" and ".vbk" accordingly. So, if the operation is cancelled, only the temp file will be in inconsistent state and will be deleted soon.

Thanks.
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk »

Could I also manually move the oldest *.vib off to another volume, then once the compact is complete move it back again?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I don't think that will work as a newly-created .vbk should have references to subsequent increments. So, without those at hand the process might fail. Thanks.