Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Sarek70
Influencer
Liked: never

synthetic full to tape

Post by Sarek70 »

I want to change the reversed incremental backup to forward incremental, and want to make a synthetic full on Saturday. Beside the normal backup to disk we have a copy job running to transport the backup made that day to tape. Now i'm wondering if i don't schedule a forward incremental on Saturday but only the synthetic full and i run the copy job on Saturday evening will it copy the synthetic full to tape? or can the synthetic full put directly on tape?

Thx in advance for helping
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: synthetic full to tape

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
Beside the normal backup to disk we have a copy job running to transport the backup made that day to tape.
To clarify are you using backup copy job as a source for Veeam's tape job or you use third party to do the tapes? Thanks
Sarek70
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Sarek70 »

I use a Tape job and the source is the backup to disk job which i have done earlies. Backup schedule is like this

job 1 Gold servers @22:00 3sept2015 (all virtual machines in the gold folder of vCenter)

job 95 Backup to Tape - Job 1 @01:00 4sept2015 (Backup to tape from backup backup jobs)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Virtual full backup is only created for forward forever incremental chains. If you enable synthetic full backup on source backup job, no virtual full backup will be created by a tape job, but on a given day the newly created synthetic full backup will be transferred to tapes. Thanks.