Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

On Host Backups Using Same Host

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Confusing title I know, but here is the issue. I spoke to Support about a different issue but asked, If virtual machine manager says the VM is on Host C why does Veeam use Host A as the on host proxy? The response was, Veeam uses whatever host has ownership of that guest vm. So my question is, if its not the host that the VM is on, how do I find this setting? Right now even though my VMs are spread across 3 clustered hosts, they are all using Host A for the backup proxy. I want to make sure that I don't clobber my Host A with all the backups.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: On Host Backups Using Same Host

Post by foggy »

Ryan, the CSV owner node (not VM owner node) is always selected as an on-host proxy that performs backup. This is more optimal and allows to avoid excessive load on the cluster network. There should be a registry key that allows to change this behavior, however spreading the load between VM owners you might overload the cluster network.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

So I should leave it be, and just have them all run through Host A as the proxy? I just want to verify that I am getting the expected behavior. Is there a place to check the ownership?

Cheers!
VMCE v9
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, the behavior is expected. You can look for the current owner in the Failover Cluster Manager, under Cluster Shared Volumes node.