Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mvb89b
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Bommarito

Restore from backup creates thick disk....

Post by mvb89b »

So I converted a VM to a thin disk than performed a synthetic full backup to an offsite storage device...

It compressed the thin disk from 10gb of data to around 5Gb..It was originally allocated 100Gb. Anyways when I restore from the backup it appears it converted it back to a thick disk. Is this supposed to happen?? Is this the same thing that occurs with replication? Is there any way around this.

I am using ver. 4.11.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore from backup creates thick disk....

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mike,

No, this is not what is supposed to happen. You have an option whether to keep disks thin or convert them to thick while doing restores. Please have a look at the Restore wizard description in our User Guide at http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_4_1_user_guide_pg.pdf (page 67)

Thanks!
mvb89b
Influencer

Post by mvb89b »

Ok that makes sense that option is only available when restoring entire VM not specific VM files. Thanks!

Mike
mvb89b
Influencer

Post by mvb89b »

Thanks again! I chose the force thin and it took 14 minutes to restore a 100gb provisioned VM with 14GB actual data.

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good to hear that, by the way could you tell us where were you restoring to (ESX or ESXi host)? If it was ESX host, have you specified root credentials for that host at the Veeam backup console? Enabling ssh connection should boost your speed up while doing VM restores.